"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Friday, January 8, 2016

Fun With Fiber ~ ( Remembering Why I Love Wool-Working !)

 I love working with the wool of my sheep, and the wool of other breeds of sheep too. Somehow I get bogged down with so many other things to do ( including the chores of keeping the sheep I love ) I forget how much I love working with wool. This is my wool drum carder. A carder brushes wool that has been sheared, skirted , washed, and picked*. I decided after the holidays I would spend some time renewing my enthusiasm for my wool crafting by taking time away from all but the needed aspects of keeping a home and simply enjoy playing with wool.
 Looks like cotton candy , doesn't it ? This is some exotic wool blends I have had stashed away blended with my Jacob Sheep wool. I had fun picking and choosing from my stash of wool to blend colors and fibers I thought might culminate in some interesting yarns.
 The desired end product of my wool blending is wool batts ( wool carded into batts, like batting you might buy for quilts, only wool )  I can spin into yarn I might then weave into fabric.
 I ran the wool through my carder a few times. Isn't it lovely ?

 I had a few other colors of exotic fiber to combine with my Jacob wool too. This reminds me of tropical fruit and Hawaiian sunsets. 
Anyway, these are a few rolags ( wool batting taken off the carder and rolled up ) I have finished and added to the basket by my spinning wheel to be spun up into yarn soon. I will fill my basket with spun yarn to later be woven into fabric. I will enjoy this process ...handling to wool batts, appreciating how the colors come together as they turn into yarn, and marvel at the fabric woven from my wool. This craft of wool-working is as old as creation and a marvel. Did I say I love wool-working ?

16 comments:

Theresa said...

OH SO beautiful:) Love the colors! Have a blessed and warm day! HUGS!

ellen b. said...

Such an interesting process and beautiful result!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

It does look like cotton candy, in texture and colour. Very pretty, and an interesting process.

L. D. said...

Your results are more that a mere craft but a wonderful artwork of beauty. It must give you pleasure to get such great results.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Oh my gosh! So absolutely beautiful, and yes it does look like cotton candy. You have so many talents dear Kathy. Thanks for being the inspiration that you are.

Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

Connie said...

Such beautiful colors! It does look like cotton candy.

joanne said...

for just a moment, a quick moment, I was thinking something different when I saw the title of your post. I assumed, with the New Year and all, that you were posting a high-fiber recipe for us all to use for weight loss, hehehe. Lovely, lovely colours there, you are so very talented.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Oh, these are just so beautiful! Have fun playing with your wool and hope you have a blessed weekend. Hugs xo Karen

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

How lovely that wool is and what a wonderful talent to have!

Nib's End said...

I like the mango, watermelon, Hawaiian sunset rolag the best. It reminds of the colors I love to hold in my hands when peeling a ripe peach. Especially nice to see on this cold, drizzling winter day: it warms one's imagination.

I enjoy vicariously the passion and art in other's hands.

Amber said...

It looks gorgeous! I haven't spun for several months. I need to get back to it. I ran out of wool, but I have some of my alpaca fiber that I could hand card.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Cotton candy indeed! Kathy, it is fun to turn raw wool into finished product and it's been too long for me. But, most of everything is in boxes, preparing for a move but hope seeps from my heart. I did make 5 hats for children for Christmas; never heard if they enjoyed them or not. sigh.

Karen said...

Yes those beautiful pastels do look good enough to eat! Enjoy your hobby these winter days!

Deanna said...

Kathy, Happy New Year to you and yours. You are one of the most industrious Ladies I know of on Blogland.
I LOVE YOUR COTTON CANDY WOOL!
That's is so sweet a color.
All the best to you,
d

Henny Penny said...

I would love to have a spinning wheel and your knowledge of spinning. Always been a dream of mine. I love your blog. You have a beautiful family. I followed your blog a while back, and just this evening added you to my blog list.?? So glad to have found you again.

Lady Katherine said...

Hi there! I so love the color you have chosen for the wool! What are you going to make? What type of carder do you have? Any lambs born this year? I'm on facebook, not been blogging but I've been saving up photo to blog about. WordPress through me for abandoned loop! I still haven't learned the instructions and outs! Good to see you, I was on my blog after running across all post on google. Lol well saw your comment and wanted to visit.