"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Friday, May 8, 2009

Goat House

~This is the goat house my Hubby built for my goats because I requested it as a Christmas present. My Hubby would probably prefer not to have so many animals around, but he loves me and when I brought 2 little , tiny baby Nigerian / Pygmy goats home he allowed me to keep them. He also designed and built this deluxe goat condo for me and them! Above is a picture of Thorin, gazing out of the 2nd story apartment . ~Here is a picture of the first floor , it is a hay feeder with standing / reclining space on either side. This is a perfect feeder for goats in the rainy Pacific Northwest. The goats can keep their feet out of the wet and mud while eating and napping. There is also a mineral / salt block in a special holder attached to the inside of the first floor post. ( Bombadil looking toward the camera) ~Thorin climbing the ramp to his apartment, Bombadil looking out. Both Thorin and Bombadil sleep in the 2nd story. It is cute to see them peek out at night when I am outside. They like to sleep in too. During the day they nap by the feeder or on the stumps placed in their pen for jumping and standing on. ~This is the back side of the goat condo. This gets the afternoon sunshine and often both goats will nap here so as to soak up as many rays as possible. You can see they get a good view of the sheep, and what you cannot see is that the busy- body goats also get a full view of our front porch, the drive way and Goth's pen next door to them! ~Blessings: watching goats play, a husband who will build me a goat house to keep goats he did not want in the first place!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice goat house, looks like a nice tree house;)

DraftCrossFool said...

What a cool place for the goats! (BTW, I love the Tolkien names for the little guys.)

LindaSue said...

ah - I have goat house envy at the moment - but with 32 right now - would be a bigger house than ours! You DH is a good man - mine is about done with adding animals to our workload so I approach any changes cautiously -he sense of responsibility for our animals' well being is one of his very endearing qualities. But I still can't talk him into another aquarium (we've both had them in the past) Great pictures and fun life for those two hay eaters!-

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Bless your husband for getting goats when he didn't want them; what a Nice Guy!
Goats have the best personalities, I just love 'em. They have a wonderful house, I can just see them playing.

Lanny said...

Your goat house is certainly the best I have ever seen. It is a goat pleaser and a people pleaser and a goat people pleaser!

Anonymous said...

I love it Kathy. What a great gift for both you and the goats. Funny how they each have their favorite spots.

Stella Jones said...

Your goat house is great. Aren't you lucky to have such a kind and considerate husband! Mine is too and I consider myself lucky as well.
Blessings, Star

Mary Humphrey said...

Oh, I absolutely love the goat house! And I also love the goat's names.

Do they ever play king of the hill on the house ramp?

Very nice looking goats, by the way. Very much loved. They are blessed animals, to be cared for as they are.

Paula said...

That is so neat! Goats sure do love to climb...
We had some once when I was small that kept getting loose and climbing up on the trunk of my Mom's car!

A. Joy said...

Always thought this was really cool!
It would be a fun club house for kids too when there aren't any goats! Thankfully this is one outbuilding on your property you haven't had to physically pick up and move around to new locations. ( like the toolshed, rabbitry, chicken pens, sheep pens, kennels etc... )

KathyB. said...

Amy, thank-you!

DraftCrossFool, you should have heard my pets' names years ago, I love Tolkien so you can just imagine!

LindaSue,I can just imagine a row of goat townhouses there in Buhla Land!We had aquariums too! BIG time, but they were my Hubby's!

Thistle Cove Farm, goats are so full of personality and so smart! I love em' too!

Lanny, always good with words, I agree! Thank-you.

Mildred, they do pick their favorite spots, like every other critter here. I have seen pictures of Harriets, Kaboodle and Ditto's spots...I think, maybe there are more?

Star, yes! A good husband is a treasure, even if he doesn't build goat houses!I am always happy to hear about good and kind husbands..and wives too.

Mary, yes, they play King of the Hill on the ramp. Once, Thorin butted Bombadil right out of the 2nd story...he landed with surprise, un -harmed, but I have never seen them play the game from there again.

Paula, when I first moved out to this area it was common to see goats on junker cars everywhere. Tells you a lot about this area....it has changed a lot!A goat just has to have a hill...

A.Joy, being a member of the family that had to help us move buildings around I know you appreciate this! I was thinking along the same lines in reverse..all the people who have goats, but do not have handy husbands could do quite well going to a discount store or garage sale and buying children's playground equipment for their goats! Of course , junker cars and porches suffice.....

noble pig said...

I love the house. Do they like being up high like that? I would.

Connie said...

Kathy, I think your goats are very lucky to live in the lap of luxury that they do. This was a fun post. I enjoyed seeing those pictures.

e.brooke said...

I have been searching for a good pygmy goat house idea...I love your high rise condo idea! Awesome!