"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Friday, October 2, 2015

Chicken Stitchin'

 I love to embroider but my stitching skills are adequate. Just adequate. Unlike this exquisite piece of stitchery done by Kathleen  , many of you read her blog Eggs In My Pocket*. I bought this on her Etsy * site a few years ago and love this towel . I only display it because I can't bear to dirty it . I've considered framing this piece but it looks very nice accompanying my chicken teapot on the tea tray.
 This embroidered rooster struts on a table cloth I found at a thrift store. I couldn't pass up the embroidered chickens and hand crocheted edging on this piece in perfect shape at a good price. ( cheap ! )
 Isn't it a perfect table topper for autumn ?
 Here's another rooster stitched on the table topper.
 This rooster was embroidered on a dish towel and given to me as a Christmas gift a few years ago from my friend also named Kathleen. My friend has embroidered a few lovely things for me and her stitching is so tiny and precise and beautiful.

I have quite a few linens I have saved over the years that were embroidered by family and friends. I also have a few things I embroidered, but my embroidery is lacking and I hesitate to give it as a gift. I do keep a small embroidery project in my purse ( along with letter-writing stuff ) to work on when I find I have time on my hands. Time on my hands means stitchin' or writin' . I am going to include a few more flour sack towels with chicken transfer patterns ironed onto them for some more chicken stitchin' because I do love my chickens , inside and outside !

 

13 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Love your chicken embroidered pieces! You made me want to get out a fall looking table cloth.

Happy Fall ~ FlowerLady

Theresa said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your stitching:) Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Jayne said...

Love your topper. I often buy beautiful embroidery at thrift shops or at estate sales, because I realize how much work and love was put in each stitch. I think they are worth saving, and hate to see them tossed aside at sales!

Anonymous said...

Love the chicken embroidery. Your embroidery skills are way more adequate than mine. My dear little babushka would sit and show me how to embroider and guide me along. She only had one hand and did an amazing job with embroidery. Enjoy our sunshine today!

Deborah Montgomery said...

Love these -- what a wonderful find of that table topper. I love to rescue these handmade treasures. I just bought some plain tea towels and embroidery transfer patterns and hope to make some myself.

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Oh my, I LOVE that rooster piece of embroidery. He's very handsome.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog -- it gives me this opportunity to come and visit. I can see I shall be back. You have a lovely blog! I'm not so much into handwork these days, but I love, love to admire and appreciate the artistry of other crafters. Such things of beauty to be behold.

I'm smitten with the sheep in your etsy shop too!

Sending blisses...
Brenda

joanne said...

well I love your chickens too!

Anonymous said...

Such a pretty collection of unique stitchery pieces. Wishing you and yours a blessed Sunday.

Sandra said...

I live needlework-your chicken needlework is lovely!!

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Hello, Kathy! What a beautiful and inspiring post! I wish I had skills for such a work. - Your little sheep (at Etsy) are simply adorable! :)
Have a blessed Sunday!

Connie said...

These are all lovely. I really like the first one. Kathleen from Eggs in my Pocket does beautiful work!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

stitching is a pleasant past time with beautiful results...cute chicken theme, Kathy.

Deanna said...

You lucky DUCK or should I say CHICK! So nice to have rooster around. They really are a neat creature and your handiwork is great.
Blessings,
d