"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Busy Bees Take A Break !

 This tea-time Tuesday is one I would normally save for spring when our honeybees are out & about  gathering nectar and pollen to feed their brood thus producing honey for us too. However, with record-breaking warm temperatures for us this January our bees are seeking nectar and pollen where there is none. The flowers are not budding or blooming because it is January. The bees are being supplemented by sugar boards my husband has placed in their hives so they do not starve.
 We have been blessed over the years to receive gifts from family and friends who know we love our bees. I am sharing a few thoughtful gifts, some I have shared before. Above ( top 2 pics) is a tin of specialty teas we received from my husband's oldest sister & her husband for Christmas. This treasury of teas has already produced some refreshingly delicious pots of tea when it was really winter around here, and now that we are experiencing temps in the 60's ( very unseasonable ) it is refreshing after working outdoors in the gardens and animal pens. (Thank-you Jim & Jean ! )
 The white mug in the background of this pic was a birthday gift to me from my husband's sister Alice & her husband. I use it all the time and now think every tea mug should come with a matching lid to keep the tea perfectly hot. I can put a teabag and boiling water in this mug, put the lid on, and sip hot tea for quite awhile. This bee themed mug with it's own lid is my teacup for Teatime Tuesday. The honeybee mug / lid came with a few other treats , one was the teabag rest where I have placed my snack of home-made peanut butter fudge , a gift from our daughter & her family. The tea time cloth napkin was a very pleasant surprise I received in the mail from a dear friend and beekeeper, Robin . (Thank-you Robin ! ) These special gifts are loved all the more because the people who gave them to us care enough to know what pleases us and makes us happy. Not only that, all these gifts came from very busy people who really do take the time to enjoy the simple things in life.

A poor old Widow in her weeds
Sowed her garden with wild-flower seeds;
Not too shallow, and not too deep,
And down came April -- drip -- drip -- drip.
Up shone May, like gold, and soon
Green as an arbour grew leafy June.
And now all summer she sits and sews
Where willow herb, comfrey, bugloss blows,
Teasle and pansy, meadowsweet,
Campion, toadflax, and rough hawksbit;
Brown bee orchis, and Peals of Bells;
Clover, burnet, and thyme she smells;
Like Oberon's meadows her garden is
Drowsy from dawn to dusk with bees.
Weeps she never, but sometimes sighs,
And peeps at her garden with bright brown eyes;
And all she has is all she needs --
A poor Old Widow in her weeds.” by Walter de la Mare
 
This poem reminds me of me and my days spinning wool on our front porch , wildflowers growing everywhere on Cedar Pond. As I sit & spin yarn I watch the bees gathering nectar and pollen , and often, more often than you would think, I watch the busy bees take a rest , perched on a leaf, a blossom, or a flat rock warmed by the sun. Busy bees taking a break ! All you busy-bee ladies make sure you take time to rest, sip a cup of tea, and remember the every day joys of life truly are simple.
 
Please join these ladies today for Teatime Tuesday as you enjoy your tea ~
 
 

16 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

So pretty and so caring to feed the bees. hugs

Margie said...

What a sweet tea set! I especially like the mug and tea towel.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

This is such a charming post, Kathy. The bee theme is really cute and all are wonderful gifts from family and friends. If I was to take sweetener in my tea or coffee, I would certainly use honey. The swans in your header are so beautiful. I think your home must be a real haven. Thank you for joining my Tea Party this week and celebrating with me. I appreciate your participation and the joy you share in your post.

Blessings,
Sandi

Antiques And Teacups said...

What a wonderful bee themed collection! I love it! I have a few pieces myself which I love. How special to receive them as gifts as well. I used to spin...I had a castle wheel and did weavings. I was a terrible knitter though! It's been so mild, hasn't it? Thanks so much for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
Ruth

Stella Jones said...

Your tea set is beautiful Kathy. Your post was delightful. So glad your temperatures are warm.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a delightful post! Your bee tea items are wonderful and very cheery.

Glad the bees have 'sugar boards'. That's really neat.

I enjoyed that lovely poem, especially *And all she has is all she needs*.

Have a good day ~ FlowerLady

Connie said...

I remember as a child there seemed to always be bees buzzing around the flowers, but now I hardly ever see them. I like your mug with a lid--that's a great idea! It seems by the time I get to the end of my cup, my tea is getting cold.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

What lovely gifts from those who love you!! The tea set is absolutely adorable. It must make you smile every time you use it or see it. The mug goes perfectly with it and keeps your tea warm with its lid.
Thank you for your visit and prayers for my son.

Debbie said...

There you are, using my favorite tea set. And it looks lovely. I'm sure we'd all like to be at the table with you.

L. D. said...

A special set of lines and the results of looking out at wild flowers is a good one. I bet being on the porch and working while looking out is great too.

Miss Kathy said...

Blessings, Kathy! It's always such a respite to drop by Cedar Pond. You live an idyllic life in my book! Though we all have our troubles, to have knowledge of and a lifestyle living so close to God's creation and simple joys of hearth and home with your sheep, honey bees, chickens, and yarn goods . . . lovely!

I feel like those busy bees you describe at the end here--much in need of a rest, but not in the season to take one. I've been in and out of Blogland for the past year as the Lord has me launching into the fullness of my dream to publish. My first book is out this month--something I know you will appreciate--Mother Chickens Eggs. The second one I'm already working on--Bugaboo Bee's Bop! Picture books teaching biblical life lessons set in an idyllic English country village in the tradition of Beatrix Potter and Tasha Tudor. I may want to message you for some honeybee insights for this next book. How they fascinate me. In the cold of January, thinking bees, gardens, and Miss Potter is warming as a cuppa tea.

Joy!
Kathy

Deborah Montgomery said...

I love your bee tea items! And it's wonderful that you have bees and take care of them. I understand that they're somewhat endangered? Sounds like they have a good home. And I can see why they need to rest -- how many 100s of trips do they make a day to make honey? I can't remember, but it's lots!
To a suburban girl, your country life sounds so lovely.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

That is the prettiest cheery tea set Kathy. I only eat unpasteurized honey from a local bee keeper and know how healthy it is.
You received some nice gifts from friends that know how special your bees are.

My Cottage Diary said...

Very pretty, Kathy, and every item a treasure! I hope your bees will be OK. The house finches have shown up here six weeks early! I don't want them to nest yet because the new babies might literally freeze. Lost the first nest of baby birdies last year to a long, cold winter. Enjoyed the poem, and your previous posts are wonderful too! Blessings, Bess

Beth in NEPA said...

I for one and so happy you decided to share this particular tea set. It is perfect to bring sunshine to an otherwise rather gloomy time of year. Thank you for that.

Karen said...

What a lovely post! Just looking at your pretty, bright, and cheery busy bee tea things made me smile. I loved reading about your bees and the thoughtful gifts you have received. I was worried for your bees until you said that your husband feeds them during this unusual weather. I enjoyed the poem, too.