"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The Work Begins ( Packing Up )

 The work began right after Christmas ~ sorting through belongings , deciding which to discard and which to keep. My craft room has to be sorted and emptied out by the end of this week so we can  re-carpet and paint it in preparation to sell our home. I have been finishing many projects to accomplish some sense of order and help me decide what I want to do with our space and my time in a new home. What is worth keeping here ?
 I sorted through my fabric stash and have a huge box ready to donate to the goodwill . I have kept most of my fabric though . I have collected fabric for future quilts and comforters and know I will sew them in the future. ( above picture ~stack of things I will sew before we move.)

Later on today I am hoping to finish packing up the craft room. I have art supplies and scrap-booking supplies to sort through. This is going to be my hardest work because I know I have too much to justify taking it with us on our move. I am also NOT looking forward to going through years of paperwork in the office section of this room. I am amazed I have been able to neatly and efficiently stash so much stuff away in this room that was once our daughter's bedroom. I also know I never want to store this much STUFF again.
Blizzard has been helping me by checking out every pile of fabric and seeing which ones are suitable for a cat nap.
 
Tasks &Accomplishments thus far since January :
  1. Finished weaving 4 rugs , took off loom to pack rugs and loom, weaving supplies packed up.
  2. Had sheep sheared , ready for lambing.
  3. Began skirting * wool fleeces to take to wool processor so I can have wool batts ready for moving.
  4. Mucking out poultry pens , taking big pens down for moving. ( HARD physical work ! )
  5. Deciding on which poultry to keep, sell, etc.,
  6. Already cleaned out most of pantry, boxed up dishes, etc, some for future garage sale.

 

17 comments:

Amber said...

Wow Kathy! You are one very busy woman!

Anonymous said...

Great productivity!! Glad God is giving you the energy to complete all you need to do!

joanne said...

wow, you are ambitious. I wouldn't even know where to start and we have been talking 'moving' in the Fall. Guess I better get into that craft room now!

Deanna said...

Blessings to you. It sounds like you're on your way. All the best.
d

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Wow, you guys have really started your move. When are you leaving?

May it all go smoothly for you.

Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

Connie said...

Oh my! You are very busy and have much more to do ahead of you. I don't envy you the chore of sorting and deciding what to keep. In another two or three years when my husband retires, we will be faced with that same task. I think I should start sorting stuff now to make things easier then! Isn't it surprising how much stuff takes over our lives. Good luck to you, Kathy.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Kathy, please forgive me for saying I am very envious! It seems every one I know who has wanted to or had to sell, move and buy again, has been successful. Except me. sigh. I do know God has a plan but I sure wish He'd share.
Are there not for profit guilds you could donate the items to and still receive a tax donation form? As to all the work, that's simply amazing!

Nib's End said...

I have moved several times over the years. After the last big move twenty plus years ago I, too, said: "I never want to move (store) this much stuff again." So every January I have a clear out and a filing frenzy. Now, if only I could get my greedy paws on my husband's stuff we could be ready to move tomorrow!

Can you move all your possessions bit by bit as you are moving only a few hours away?

Blogoratti said...

Moving is always a hectic period, and one to find things one no longer has use for. Greetings and best wishes!

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

Holy smokes, you've been a busy little bee since Christmas!! Wishing you a smooth move and sale of your house...both are quite stressful times and can really wear a woman down. Take care of yourself and eat well, take your vitamins, and don't forget a glass of wine when you need it!!

Lori @ Our Life In The Pacific Northwest said...

A big move can be hard work... Keep your eye on the prize. stay organized and ask for help if needed... Those are what kept us on track when we sold our home in Southern California in 2005 and bought our Farm here in Oregon. Can't wait to read about your journey. Your new place looks full of promise. ~Lori~

Henny Penny said...

Sounds like you've done a lot and still have lots to do. Moving is such a job! I missed your last post, but just now, enjoyed it so much. Your dogs are beautiful! And, Blizzard, is such a pretty cat. I can't imagine not having a sweet loving dog around. Dogs really are the best companions.

Pondside said...

What a lot of work! You are well on your way, when you tackle the things that are closest to you, and therefore the most challenging.
I wish I lived nearer to you - I'd bring over all the Rubbermaid totes I bought for our move - they were great for packing and storing the things I didn't want around for the house sale, but wanted to keep for the new house.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

So many decisions but the hardest I read was of which poultry to sell... You seem to have accomplished a lot so far and just think of all the unwanted stuff you're getting rid of in the packing process.

Tea in the Library said...

Quite an undertaking, physically and mentally. Will keep you in my prayers.
I just took out my Valentine sheep and had an Epiphany. I think the sheep will look great with the Willow Tree angels and Shepard pieces at Christmas - I'm off to search eBay for a bargain.

Stella Jones said...

So much to do but you're tackling it in a methodical way. Don't get overwhelmed, just enjoy the sorting. Take as much as you can, otherwise you will have regrets! Good luck.

Karen said...

You are getting a lot done! God bless you as you make this transition.