"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Friday, September 22, 2017

Porch Weather

 
Summer weather left us this past weekend. Our area has had a record 80 days without rain ! As much as I miss the rain ( it is back now ) I do love being able to sit on the porch with the dogs and spin wool while I watch the deer and wild turkeys in our pastures and along the edge of our woods. ( Here is an old enamel ware pot filled with plantings I had on a table top on the porch.)
Lazy days in the heat were spent enjoying the rockers on the porch while the dogs napped.
Beatrix will be 13 years old next month. She is my constant companion and if I am spinning wool outdoors she will be laying nearby. The summer was very hot, fires from Canada, Montana, Oregon , and some areas nearby in our state gave us many weeks of  hazy air so thick with smoke we had to limit our time outdoors. This past weekend the rain and cold weather moved in. Our pastures need it, but even more so do our forests. The weather here now drops to the low 40's and high 30's at night and we are expecting frost soon. I still sit on the porch and spin wool , but now I am wearing a warm jacket and wool socks. Beatrix has begun to grow her winter coat and her fur serves her well. She is just happy to lay nearby.

14 comments:

A.K.W. said...

Nice pictures, Summer hasn't quite left us yet.

Amy

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a lovely post and porch. Your coming cooler weather sounds nice to me, especially as it is so hot and humid down here in s.e. FL.

Have a nice evening and Sunday ~ Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

L. D. said...

We are a lot alike having flowers planted somewhere always. You yellow pot is so great. You have been really dry and for some reason the nation news sure didn't want to cover your fires or lack of rain

Fiona's Thoughts said...

I received my three lovely little sheep and they have made for much happiness on the shelf they share with a few other critters. The quality and focus on details make each one of these little treasures unique. They will find a place in our Christmas village this year and each year after. Thank you so much.
Linda Harris

Deborah Montgomery said...

Sounds so lovely there on your porch. I'm glad you're getting some much-needed rain. We have been experiencing high 80s, low 90s here in Michigan!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I would trade some cooler weather as instead of cooler fall temperatures here in New England, we are having summer-like warmth with near 90 for Sunday. Glad you finally got some rain.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

80 days without rain...my mind boggles! It's still warm here, in the 80's but cool at night. I'm settling in, yet to have time to spin but am thinking about breaking out some yarn and needles. Beatrix looks good and has earned her place of resting. Be well, Kathy.

Deanna said...

I am ready for cooler temps. Here in Kansas it was like we had a heat wave this past week-end to where it was easy to have a heat stroke. It is suppose to cool down some this week. Sitting in your porch sounds heavenly! All the best,
d

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

We had a very cool August and now we are having an unseasonably hot September - things should cool off again by the end of the week, though. I'm sure the animals are confused!!

My Cottage Diary said...

Have enjoyed your new posts, Kathy! I don't have any birdhouses outdoors. I usually have house finches nest under the top of my front porch every summer, tho. Years ago I put a bit of wire mesh to help hold the nest on the little ledge they seem to prefer; before that lots of failed nest-building attempts! Beatrix looks a very beautiful and sweet doggie. You will remember your special times on the porch with her in the years ahead. So glad you are getting much needed rain to clear the air and discourage more fires. I don't think the fires out west received enough attention in the news. But then it's been that kind of year. Blessings, Bess

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Sitting on your lovely porch sounds wonderful to me. Especially with your sweet companion to keep company. The cool, damp air of Autumn is a welcome relief from this hot, dry summer. Love your pretty enamel pot with flowers.xx Karen

Unknown said...

A beautiful porch

Lady Jane said...

We have broken some records here in NE with 90 degree temps. Today cooler weather has come in and I am enjoying it. Was way too hot for fall. I absolutely love my porch. I sit in my rocker and read or sit with my tea or coffee. It is one of my joys as I grow old. Looks like it is Beatrix's too. Hugs, LJ

Unknown said...

We are a lot alike having flowers planted somewhere always. You yellow pot is so great. You have been really dry and for some reason the nation news sure didn't want to cover your fires or lack of rain

doctor strange (2016)