"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Friday, October 2, 2009

Jamie Olivers Summer Tomato Pasta

It's my Jamie Oliver Friday! He has some tasty dishes in his book that require fresh from the garden tomatoes, and boy do we have those, in abundance. This is the first year ever we have had so many tomatoes ripen. The Pacific Northwest summers in our neck of the woods don't usually lend themselves to ripe tomatoes and corn this time of the year so Hubby and I are tummy tickling grateful . My recipe for this Friday is Jamie Oliver's Summer Tomato Pasta. This recipe is EASY!
You will need:
  • 1 pound dried fusilli ( pasta)
  • sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
  • 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
  • 2 large bunches of mixed soft herbs ( like green and purple basil, marjoram,flat-leaf parsley,thyme tips and oregano) leaves picked , a few baby leaves reserved, the rest roughly chopped. ( we got this from our garden)
  • 1 and 1/2 pounds mixed cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped ( we got these from our garden)
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • a block of Parmesan cheese for grating
"Pour some boiling water from the kettle into a pan over the heat and add the pasta and some salt. Place a large metal or earthenware bowl on top of the pan. Put the butter, balsamic vinegar and chopped herbs in the bowl and warm until the butter has melted. Now squeeze in the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, then remove the bowl ( from the top of boiling pasta pan) and put to one side. Give the pasta a stir." "With clean hands ( I hope this is standard procedure for you while cooking) really scrunch the tomatoes and all the flavors in the bowl together. Have a little taste and decide whether they need some more seasoning or vinegar." "When the pasta is cooked according to the package instructions, drain it in a colander, reserving some of the cooking water. Tip the pasta into the bowl with your tomatoes and stir the sauce into the pasta. Drizzle with a good glug of extra virgin olive oil , loosen with some of the reserved cooking water if need be, and sprinkle over the reserved baby herb leaves. Serve with a block of Parmesan cheese for grating over. Lovely with some olives thrown in." Delicious, and as I said above, easy! This weekend is going to be a busy one. The Harvest Fest is tomorrow, and there is a farm tour in Pierce County that has our little community center on the tour. It is also supposed to rain, of course! I think I will be bringing my little propane heater to warm my feet while I spin wool. Maybe I will be wearing one of my wool rugs on my lap too. Immediately after the Harvest Fest we have an event to be part of that will be life-changing for some of the participants... God is gracious and He is kind. Maybe I will write about this event later, for now we are hopeful and excited about the future . Praise God! "And may you have the power to understand ...how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His love really is....then you will be filled with the fullness of life and power that comes from God." Ephesians 3:18-19

14 comments:

Susie said...

Hey Kathy, it's always fun to see what's cooking at your house on Fridays. That pasta sounds easy and delish!

Happy weekend to you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Kathy for the recipe. We would love that and olives would be a great addition. I sure hope it will not rain on the festival. The other weekend when we had the foot or so of rain, our local festival had to be cancelled. You stay warm and dry and enjoy the weekend.

Jo said...

Omigosh, that looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing that. Look at all the healthy ingredients in it. YUM!

I love your little rug with the autumn leaves on it.

You know, I remember the harvest festival from last year, when you posted about it. Has a whole year gone by already!?

My little black and white sheep get so much attention from everyone, in their place of honor. :-)

Connie said...

That sounds yummy, Kathy. I hope you have fun during your busy weekend. I hope you can keep warm if you get rain. It has been rather chilly here the last few days. Happy weekend to you! :)

Julie Harward said...

That pasta makes my cheeks do the heebeegeebees! Oh, it looks SO good..looks like thats my next dinner..thank you! Come say hi :D

Wobegon Cottage said...

I love yellow tomatoes. I grew 3 kinds of Basil green or regular, purple , mine was cinnamon but never really tasted or smelled like cinnamon. and lemon...I really like the lemon. You are quite the cook, thanks for sharing

LindaSue said...

pasta in all it's infinite varieties and fresh herbs - yum! hope the rain holds off and whatever the event you are mentioning might be - that it is all you hope and more.

Mary said...

Hello Kathy!

Oh man,the recipe sounds wonderful!

I do hope the weather allows you to enjoy the festival.

We have had rain, a bit breezy, and cool here.

Southern Comfort said...

I'd love to sit by you, covered with a blanket, and watch you spin. Of course, I would just watcha and sip some hot coffee with cream. The coolness of the weather and the wholesomeness of the spinning sounds so comforting. I hope that "event" is truly a good thing for you and your family. Good luck!

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

I will try this recipe...and thanks for that verse. One of my favorites. C

Mary Bergfeld said...

This recipe has the makings of a feast. I love most of Jamie's recipes and this one sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing it with us. Have a great day.

noble pig said...

Oh wow, look at those tomatoes. I bet it was delicious. There have been a lot of tomatoes around at the farm stands still, all so good!

Katie Aiken Ritter said...

Kathy! It's so good to see you at the blog I'm writing about Afghanistan.

1. How on earth do you manage multiple blogs with all you do? LOL

2. I think my youngest son is likely to be another Jamie...one day.

3. My parents just got bees, so I'm going to check out your husband's blog!

I owe you an explanation about Leif. I've been told to stop publishing it now that I'm submitting it to agents. I haven't been able to even log onto it because of distress over that.

I'll post that information soon. Thanks for being the first person to hear it. I appreciate your support.

warmly,
Katie

Paula said...

Yummm- that sounds wonderful.