"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Friday, October 30, 2015

Thursday In The Garden ~ Snug In My Indoor Garden

Our sun room has three sky lights that make this a bright and light room all year round. It makes a perfect indoor garden room too. For most of the years we've lived here ( over 2 decades ) I kept caged birds in this small room with our plants but we moved the parakeets into an outdoor aviary this past summer and I have to say, I do not miss cleaning up scattered bird seed and feathers every day . This past week I finally acted on some plans I've had for this room to make it a comfortable room to read and do needlework in natural light whilst being able to listen to the sound of rain pattering, splattering, and sometimes gushing on the over-head windows. Rain is my favorite music and now I've created a space in our home to be able to listen to my music comfortably. ( A cup of hot tea or good coffee completes the mood ! )
My African Violets thrive here. This is an African Violet I have shown in other posts, and it has just this month bloomed again. This violet has reproduced and is now 3 violet plants in one pot, but look how healthy and happy it is, and it is an old African Violet, at least 10 years old, maybe older . I think this is the third time this plant has bloomed this year.
The other side of the sun room. Some of the plants in this room are almost 40 years old, most at least 20 years old. The white baker's rack holds not only plants, but my garden magazines and plant books.
My collection of bird's nests are displayed here too, some in little glass bowls , some perched in the bigger plants. Bird's nests, plants, a comfortable chair and books to read make this room all I want it to be especially now the rain has returned in great abundance. This also makes it the favorite room of our cats, but I think they appreciated birds in here even more.

My indoor garden requires a bit of work every so often. The plants require water several times a week, in the summer they needed watering almost every day. When I changed this room around last week I moved an old bird cage outdoors giving me more room for my antique chair (over 100 year old) and ottoman. I spent a lot of time pruning and dead-heading the plants. I know most of these plants are seriously pot-bound and dread the chore of re-potting them , but I am going to wait until after Christmas before attempting that task. Summer's over, October's almost gone. Time to be snug indoors while November begins her cold wet ways . Snug in my indoor garden, my music room ~ listening to my music, the rain.


13 comments:

Leigh said...

What a beautiful room! So perfect for the dreary days of winter.

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Hello, Kathy! Your sun room is lovely and full of light, something we here in the north appreciate very much, especially during winter. Sitting there listening to the rain, reading a good book and enjoying warm coffee/tea sounds perfect.
Have a blessed November!

marlvs2sing said...

This is such a lovely blog. Makes my heart happy! I can see you cozying down with a cuppa and a good book in your very own sunroom! I know that you will enjoy it immensely! God bless you and your dear family evermore!

Bee Lady said...

I love your sunroom! I have a patio that I drag all of our house plants onto every summer. Then right before the cold weather hits I bring them inside. I usually bring them into the room in our basement and they are like "curtains" for our windows. I love a room full of plants. I don't blame you about the birds but do you have to heat their living quarters In the winter or do they adapt?

Cindy Bee

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dear Kathy ~ I just love your sunroom and would perfectly enjoy being there myself. I love how you have it decorated, all of the green life, putting much oxygen into you indoor space, your chair and ottoman, your lace curtains. Aaaahhh!

Enjoy ~ FlowerLady

Karen said...

I love your garden room. So bright and sunny! I know you'll enjoy it during the winter season! Have a blessed weekend.

Sarah said...

Kathy, my favorite kind of room. I'm sitting out in our sun room as I type. The rain is falling all around, but I'm dry and cozy in my comfy chair.
Happy Halloween!

Anonymous said...

how nice to have your indoor garden to enjoy. Good idea have the chair and ottoman in there to cozy it up.

Connie said...

This looks like such a cozy and comfortable space, Kathy. It would be easy to spend a lot of time there.

Deb said...

Oh, your sun-room must bring you much comfort. You have surrounded yourself with things you love (including a cat or two) and that makes this spot a refuge. Love everything from the lace curtains to your feline company. Deb

Betty said...

Your room brings back memories of my Mom. She would bring her plants in the house during the winter months from the front porch and she had alot and kept them in this small room we had.

Nib's End said...

"Rain is my favorite music..." Mine too. And then it would be wind in the trees or the tick of my clocks. But rain on the roof always makes me happy.

Deborah Montgomery said...

What a lovely room! It looks so soothing and peaceful, perfect for a cozy read or an afternoon nap. Funny about the cats missing those birds!