"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Fickle Spring

 It's a fickle spring we're having here in the Pacific Northwest. Days so warm we forget it is April and I begin to wear summer clothes and buy bedding plants that thrive in warm temperatures. I got the patio umbrella out for the herb garden table so I could enjoy lunch there in between spats of gardening.
 The pine siskins flock to our feeder in the herb garden, very close to the garden table. We keep the feeder full of black oil sunflower seeds. The siskins aren't shy birds, nor are the chickadees and towhees that feed there.
 The duck that was faithfully tending her eggs on the other side of the Blue Bottle Garden fence finally hatched out ducklings.
 Then fickle spring revealed herself by sending so much rain & hail that Cedar Pond appeared to have re-entered winter. The rain & hail came down accompanied by lightening & thunder. Thunder that shook our house. The hail stayed on the ground  into the next day , looking very much like snow.

 Bedding plants I just bought to plant sit in their hail-covered box.
No worries though, the sun warmed the gardens again. The Cheshire cat I painted for a tea-party a few years ago, is smiling underneath the Hostas in the Blue Bottle Garden. Fickle spring brought more rain today, then bursts of sunshine. Rain is predicted for the entire weekend with thunderstorms. A good weekend to stay home and be cozy. I have a few books to read, a rug to finish weaving, and lots of blogs to catch up on because our computer has been on the fritz and we've been off-line for awhile.

Prayers for those of you enduring the destructive and deadly storms in the mid-west.

12 comments:

A.K.W. said...

2 days ago we were in the 70's! We've had lots of rain and thunderstorms here which melted the last of our snow that we've had here a couple months ago and last month.

Amy

Anonymous said...

We're in Eastern Washington right now and I think that's the kind of weather they are predicting for today with strong winds, too. I just hope the passes are good when we come west on Sunday. That's quite a pile of hail! Have a great weekend.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Boy, you sure got a lot of hail, but your plants don't look really damaged at all. Your cheshire cat is cute!

We need some rain down here, and 'may' get some today/tonight. I went ahead and put the sprinklers on because so many times rain has been predicted and didn't happen. What I gave the plants is like a sip to what they really need.

Hope your weekend is a good one, email will be on the way later. Glad you've got your computer up and working again.

Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

xinex said...

You have a beautiful garden, Kathy! It looks so natural, the kind that I like. Enjoy spring!...Christine

Karen said...

I keep hoping to see some baby duckling down by the lake here. I am amazed at the hail that stayed around that long! The little Cheshire cat you painted is adorable!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy, So sorry about the hail. That is the cutest little duckling. I also love your smiling cat! We have had a lot of rain but this weekend is very sunny/warm. Our grass is beginning to green up. God bless your weekend. Hope you enjoy your weaving and reading next week.

Deanna said...

Hi there! Our Spring has arrived with roller coaster weather. Not sure of itself. Always a delight to stop by your home and garden to see what you are doing.
Blessings,
d

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

OH these photos just capture beautiful spring...I love seeing the mama duck and her ducklings. The ducks are everywhere here, too...I really enjoy seeing them. I can hardly wait until we start greening up here in Minnesota...I do see daylilies coming up and lilacs budding. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for your nice comment!

Nib's End said...

I'm in the pink and smiling like a Cheshire myself because the windows and doors are open today!

And I bought violets yesterday...

Connie said...

Spring weather definitely is fickle.I enjoyed your photos. Wow, that must have been quite a hail storm. Glad the sun returned later.

Bee Lady said...

Spring has a way of surprising us. I was looking at a year ago, and our area had a crazy snow storm. I prefer rain over snow this time of year, but not tornadoes and hail. I'm like you, I go out and buy plants, and can't wait to get my hands dirty.
Your yard is stunning by the way. I LOVE IT!

Cindy Bee

Just Mags said...

Beautiful spring pictures of plants and critters. Hugs