"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Selling at Our Local Farmer's Market !



 We've been selling our home produce and crafts at the local Farmer's Market every week since the end of May. Usually I put up my vendor's booth next to my daughter-in-law's. She sells items she's welded from the horseshoes her husband , a farrier ( and our youngest son) removes from the horses he shoes before putting new shoes on them. The blue pumpkin shown above is one of the items I bought from her to use in my display at the market.
 Ordinarily I set up my booth and sell hand-spun and hand-dyed yarn, wool fiber, and other wool crafts I make. But my husband has created an amazing vegetable garden at our new home and his veggies are growing gang-busters ! We have too many fresh lettuces, summer and zucchini squashes, beets, and cucumbers to consume ourselves.
 We've  been giving them away to family and friends . The chickens, geese, and sheep are enjoying the bounty too.
 I suggested he set up a booth at the Farmer's Market and he did. He sold out of lettuces  ( at least 30 bunches ) both times he's been a vendor at the market, plus most of his beets and squashes have sold too.

 I decided to sit with him in his booth instead of setting up a second booth. I just put a few 'Wee Little Sheep' on the table and kept him company. ( I sold some of my little sheep too.)

The crop of vegetables is still growing abundantly and the kitchen counters are crowded with fresh vegetables, freshly gathered eggs, and jars of home-made pickles too , but more about the pickles later.

My husband has always loved his gardens, especially the vegetable gardens. Our new home has a different growing season than our last home. The summer days are perfect for most crops and it looks like we'll actually get a big crop of tomatoes, pumpkins, and sweet corn too. I will be posting pictures of his vegetable garden in the next post, showing the progression of the plot of land he's turned into our vegetable garden here at Laughing Dove Farm.

" While the earth remains, Seedtime and harvest, And cold and heat, And summer and winter, And day and night shall not cease." Genesis 8:22 

11 comments:

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Love seeing all the gorgeous bounty and those sweet little sheep! The horseshoe pumpkin is really cute, too. xx Karen

Henny Penny said...

How neat that you are selling at the farmer's market. The vegetables are beautiful, oh, and all those cute little sheep. I would have to stop at your booth.

Nib's End said...

A bag of fresh, homegrown lettuces...I want some too--do you ship?

ellen b. said...

What a great idea to sell your bounty at the Farmer's market. Everything looks so fresh and good. That horseshoe craft is cool. Love the sheep, too.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Kathy, I am a newcomer to your blog after seeing your comment on Larry's Creative Zone blog. I really enjoyed poking around your blog posts and getting to know about your former home, Cedar Pond, and now your current one Laughing Dove Farm. Both look like wonderful homes, even though they had such different features.

We currently live in a re-purposed textile mill on Nashua, NH which is now apartment homes (current terminology) but like Larry, we still have a house (no longer a home to us) on the Va eastern shore. In fact, our blog is named after what we dubbed our house, The Frog & Penguinn, and one of these days we will change out blog name and focus. But as we have not sold it yet (not for lack of trying) we've kept the blog name as we return to VA and post about it still.

When we lived in VA, we also had a large garden with fresh veggies -- too many at times. But, there was no nearby farmer's market to sell out and also lots of other folks there have backyard gardens so there tends to be an over-abundance. Here in Nashua, there is a local farmer's market on Sunday mornings which is within walking distance of the mill. we enjoy buying fresh produce from local farms as much as possible.

I plan to bookmark your blog and will return again, and also invite you for a visit to our own little place in blog-dom.

Leigh said...

Your husband's garden produce is beautiful! And what a great outlet for surplus a farmers market is. Love those wee little sheep!

Theresa said...

YUM! Country farm/garden living is the healthiest way to live, in my opinion:) That is the way I was raised! I LOVE squash and would have bought you guys out! Enjoy your day and I look forward to the next post about the garden! HUGS!

Connie said...

Your husband's fresh produce looks fantastic. His garden must be doing very well. Your little sheep are so cute. I love how they look with so many together in one place.

Deanna said...

Hello from Kansas!
Nice visit to your blog. The veggies look delicious and your sheep sweet.
Are you ready for Autumn?I'm getting there.
Blessings,
d

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love your little sheep! They are super cute! We have also had a lot of squash this year. Currently, the dehydrator is going to make squash chips; and we made some squash soup and froze it. We've also given some away...when it takes off, it really takes off, doesn't it?

Wishing you a blessed day!

المثالية للتنظيف said...


المثالية


شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالاحساء