"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

October Day, Just Ducky !

 A beautiful October day here on Cedar Pond.The ducks are loving the water and I love watching them.
 Although it rained off and on today, there were sun breaks when I would go outside to work and enjoy the day.The leaves are turning gold and red, reminding me why this is my favorite season.
 Now that abundant rain has lifted the burning ban I am burning much of last years' storm damage and many months' collection of feed bags. Keeping so many empty feed bags is like creating a housing development or slum for mice and wood rats. Got to get rid of them ( rodents and feed bags ) ASAP !
 I watch my ducks as I tend to the burn pile.

 You can see the smoke and reflection on the water of the burning branches, storm debris, and feed bags.The ducks swim around snatching at bugs in the water, seeming to be oblivious of my activity.
 The pond's water level is very low. The water is usually past the greenery in the far right bottom of the picture, and well up onto the island. The only time of the year the water is this low is late summer / early autumn. The rains have begun again, the pond will quickly fill, and all will be well...
 ... as far as the ducks are concerned.
 " Never lose an opportunity for seeing anything that is beautiful; for beauty is God's handwriting - a wayside sacrament. Welcome it in every fair face, in every fair sky, in every fair flower, and thank God for it as a cup of blessing." Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are such lovely photos of the ducks, Kathy. I especially love the reflection shots. This is my favorite time of year, also. Blessings to you today, Mildred

A.K.W. said...

Nice pictures.

Amy

myletterstoemily said...

it is fun to watch ducks paddle around
searching for grub. so glad your burn
ban has been lifted.

we had a terrible drought and intolerable
heat this summer, too.

Connie said...

Such a lovely, peaceful post, Kathy. I'm glad to hear you are getting the rain you need. I love the quote at the end.

KathyB. said...

Maple Lane,thank-you. I love the reflection photos too.

Amy, thank-you.

myletterstoemily, isn't it such a relief when the cool autumn weather blows in, especially after a scorching summer. The fall is most definitely my favorite season, summer my least !

Daisy,thank-you. Being down by my pond is almost therapy sometimes.

KathyB. said...

Maple Lane,thank-you. I love the reflection photos too.

Amy, thank-you.

myletterstoemily, isn't it such a relief when the cool autumn weather blows in, especially after a scorching summer. The fall is most definitely my favorite season, summer my least !

Daisy,thank-you. Being down by my pond is almost therapy sometimes.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

It is fun to know that you are happy and enjoying your land and the animals as you are busy cleaning up, Kathy.

Beautiful pictures. The pond is so wonderful. I'm glad that the rains have returned, but that there are still some nice days left too.

Hugs,

Kathy M.

KathyB. said...

Kathy M, thank-you!It has been very sweet enjoying the sunny days of Autumn here at Cedar Pond.

KathyB. said...

Kathy M, thank-you!It has been very sweet enjoying the sunny days of Autumn here at Cedar Pond.

Nib's End said...

The Prayer of the Little Ducks

Dear God,
give us a flood of water.
Let it rain tomorrow and always.
Give us plenty of little slugs
and other luscious things to eat.
Protect all folk who quack
and everyone who knows how to swim.

Amen

From: Prayers From the Ark by Carmen Bernos De Gasztold

KathyB. said...

Nib, I love this prayer ! I am going to have to read this book.

KathyB. said...

Nib, I love this prayer ! I am going to have to read this book.

KathyB. said...

Nib, I love this prayer ! I am going to have to read this book.