"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Savour The Moment ~ Tea-Time Tuesday


 


It was a surprisingly sunny day on Cedar Pond, and very cold. Although it looked like a work outside in the garden type of day, the immediate cold to the bones set in and I decided it was really a work inside the house and look out the window type of day. As I worked I was reflecting on Sandi's* theme for today and knew I would take time to truly savour the moment.
 

 The table-covering is an old wool rug my husband's Aunt Marion made many years ago. I remember visiting her apartment in Everett, WA . She invited us for dinner and to watch her alma mater's football game on t.v. The U of W Huskies against her team, WSU's Cougars. This rug she hooked herself was one of many covering the hardwood floors in her apartment. Her home was filled with her handmade rugs, wall-hangings, quilts, and special mementos of her many travels world-wide. Aunt Marion was an independent single woman in a time many years ago when being a single woman was considered a handicap. She was well educated and became a teacher.
 I decided it was a perfect day to spin up another skein of wool yarn and savour the moments of a quiet time at home doing something I dearly love to do. The wool rug my husband's aunt hooked from sample books of wool fabrics that were sent to the school where she taught home-economics was probably a project she worked on in front of her t.v. on the many cold and rainy days Everett, Washington is known for. Do you think she savoured the moments she spent in her cozy apartment with a view of the Everett waterfront ? Nearby you can see my spinning wheel. I was finishing up the plying of another skein of wool yarn. ( This means I was combining and twisting together strands of wool yarn I had already spun up . I combined 2 strands of yarn making this a 2 PLY yarn)

 In the center of the table on the rug Aunt Marion hooked sits a basket full of my hand spun wool yarn. The basket was woven by a local basket weaver. The basket weaver told me she sat down in a forest , picked up the branch handle and wove the basket there. Do you think she savoured the moments she worked in a forest and quietly, probably reflectively, wove this basket ?
 The longer I look at this rug the more I appreciate Aunt Marion's choices and flair for design.
 The wood bowl once belonged to Aunt Marion. I wonder if the person who made the wooden bowl savoured the moments spent in a shop filled with beloved tools and the scent of wood shavings, thinking about this bowl and the many creations to be carved out of precious chunks of wood surrounding the work space.

The last little bit of two-plyed yarn is done and I am ready to transfer my yarn to a winding reel.
 This winding reel was given to me by a friend who's job requires her to crawl under people's homes. She found the winding reel and an old home-made spinning wheel I hope to restore someday outside an abandoned home. The winding reel has been an amazing help to me. I did not know I needed one until I used it. I simply wind my newly spun and plyed yarn onto this reel. Each wind around to the peg ( inside the reel where a small strand of  the yarn is tied) measures 2 yards. I count the winds thus giving me the yardage of each skein of yarn. Do you think the person who made this winding reel savoured the moments crafting it? Do you think he ( it was most likely a man) was thinking of the person he was crafting it for and savouring the anticipation of excitement and appreciation he expected?

The teacup is a lovely blue lustre-ware with a honey gold color inside and was made in Japan many years ago. The chocolate cake was made by me from scratch and I added everything the recipe called for. Real butter, sour cream, real vanilla, fine- ground good quality chocolate ,fresh eggs from my own flock of chickens, and love. I also made the chocolate buttercream frosting.Do you think I savoured the moments making, baking, and frosting this cake? Do you think I savoured eating this piece of cake? Yes indeed . Savour the moments of your life! If you don't, who will? Learn to savour the moments with a grateful heart.

I am joining Sandi at Rose Chintz Cottage for this day to Savour The Moment* and the rest of the Tea-Time Tuesday ladies.

21 comments:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

well, dear friend...there is nothing i do not love about this post.
quiet reflections on the many items talked about...i betcha they all savored the moment....

loving Jesus,
loving people,
Cindy

Terri said...

Hello Kathy,
It looks like you are really good at savoring the moment! Your pretty tea cup looks gorgeous on your aunts handiwork. I love lusterware cups. They are so pretty! Your aunts rug is amazing....and you are right, she was really good with color and design. I can just imagine the rugs around her house. I admire her!
Hugs,
Terri

Deb said...

What a beautiful, calming post this is to read first thing this morning. I love your photos. I feel like I'm sitting in your dining-room enjoying a cup of tea. Gorgeous. Your garland is so cute on your cupboard. I would love to someday see you show off all that lives inside it. Your aunt's rug is beautiful and what a treasure to now own. Everything about your post is so homey right down to the wool. Enjoyed visiting this morning. Hugs, Deb

Veronica Roth said...

Hi Kathy, gosh, sounds like you really made a lovely environment around your table for your tea. Your bowl and basket of spun wool are wonderful on your anut's amazing rug. My aunt was an artist and I have lots of her paintings and often think of her sitting in front of her easel, (which I also have), and painting silently. I used to watch her for hours and she always let me use her oils. Did you ever watch your aunt craft?

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

What a lovely post, Kathy B.! I enjoyed learning of Aunt Miriam and about how you make your yarn ... I savored every word.

Kathy M.

LindaSue said...

wonderful blog post - beautiful images and the heart of the author just as dear.

Felicity W said...

It seems that everything you use is connected to someone close to you. I really love the rug your aunt made. The color scheme can be an inspiration for fashion designers. I do not know that people nowadays still own a spinning wheel. I thought I had gone back to old days reading your post. Lovely post by the way.

Love,
Felicity

Lady Katherine said...

Love your savoring moments!! With Tea! Loved your Aunt's hooked rug, your handspun, missed you. Tried to find a way to comment since Google Reader is going away. I went to Bloglovin to follow my blog and got to learn how to comment on it as I read blogs.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Kathy, this is a lovely post, everything about it is enjoyable - the spinning wheel, winding reel, rug on the table, stories...perfect! On a cold day there are few things better than doing exactly what you want to do and have something beautiful to show for your time.

Connie said...

Lovely post, Kathy. What a good reminder to us all to enjoy each moment that we have. The rug your husband's aunt made is beautiful!

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi Kathy: I just love this beautiful table cloth. It does not look like a rug. How lucky you are lady. Blessings, Martha

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

How much I enjoyed..........and savoured the time I read this beautiful post. I enjoyed reading about Aunt Marion and I love her pretty rug! The wool you spun, the spinning wheel and the basket........all lovely!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Loved reading this post so much! Hope you have many more moments to savor!

Antiques And Teacups said...

Wonderful post Cathy! I love a view of your lovely china cabinet! Your family treasured rug is beautiful! I used to spin on a castle wheel as well...it was a hobby for years, then I switched to Cross stitch. My aunt was an independent single as well. A school administrator, she traveled the world on her holidays. She took me to Europe for 8 months when I was 10 while she was on sabbatical. I was named for her, and was closer to her than my mother. How wonderful you had such a special relative as well! Thanks for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
Ruth

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Kathy,
I so enjoyed your post today. The teacup is very pretty and I felt like I was sitting right there with you, savouring the moments. From the rug your hubby's aunt made to the spinning wheel and lovely basket of beautiful yarn you have spun, each made me feel right at home.
Thank you for sharing and coming to tea. Happy Spring, my friend!

Blessings,
Sandi

Deanna said...

Kathy,
Glorious SPRING Blessings to you!
It has been my pleasure to stop by and see what you are sharing on your blog.

Tea, rug and all!

God richly bless you, my friend.
d

Bernideen said...

Your table is really lovely with the yarn and the rug! Beautiful colors and lovely tea! Thank you for linking to Friends Sharing Tea!

Dolores said...

I'm working really hard at savoring the moment. Unfortunately, I sometimes live in the past too much. I'm very thankful for the past, but life goes on.... and I must too.

I love your home.... it feels so warm and loving, which I know it is.

Thanks for a lovely post!

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

I loved this so much tonight!!!! In this fast, busy world, we don't savor enough moments, that's for sure. I do know, though, that each and every one of those people DID savor those moments. Those rugs!!!!!!! I can't even imagine stepping on one. It would be shoes off, definitely!!!!! Lately, I've been savoring moments and doing some things I've wanted to do for . . . forever! Thanks for the encouragement to keep on doing just that!

GardenOfDaisies said...

Wow, I am certainly enjoying this post. Seeing your spinning wheel and the winder, and all your gorgeous yarns and your aunt's hooked rugs... the work of so many talented people.

Tea in the Library said...

Good Morning! My sheep arrived yesterday! First, thank you for the wool ball. The kittens are gone wild over it. It appears to be indestructible, which is a good thing.
I was so impressed with how beautifully you wrapped and the care with which they were packaged. I love the photo card you included, which I will be displaying. It's so sweet!
Now the sheep - one of the highest quality handmade items I've purchased. Ever. I was surprised by the weight, how well they rest in one's palm. Each has it's own little personality. I absolutely love them. As soon as I can stop playing with them you can be sure I'll be featuring them in a post as well as sharing them on Pinterest and fb. As soon as The Girl Child's tuition payment is made you can bet your wooly socks I'll be increasing the flock.
Can you tell I'm your new biggest fan? Have a blessed week!