"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Tidal Pools Abound With Life At Cannon Beach

 The tide is out at Cannon Beach in Oregon and the tidal pools are filled with amazing sea life for easy viewing and close- up observation if you don't mind getting your feet and legs wet. Actually, most of the coastline of Oregon & Washington ( and their inlets and sounds) are chock full of sea life. And I am not even talking about the sea mammals and birdlife in great abundance.
 A team of people in red shirts ( they are also on hand to answer questions about the sea life ) come to the shore at every low tide and put up signs warning people not to climb Haystack Rock or tread too far out on the rocks. This is not only for the safety of the public , but also the wildlife, for obvious reasons.
 The rocks teem with barnacles, mussels, seaweeds, anemones, starfish...
 ....look closely. You can see 2 starfish here, but the rocks are loaded with anemones too. They are the things that look like olives with pink or green centers.
 I counted almost 50 starfish then stopped counting. There are starfish everywhere in, on top of, under, and around every rock. Most of the time I saw them wrapped around each other.

 My husband spotted this sun starfish, not as common as the others in these tidal pools.
 Sea anemones showing their brilliant color as they open in the water. Don't they look like flowers ?
I have been a distracted blogger lately. The gardens and livestock need a lot of attention and I have also been playing with our grandchildren. I love our life here on Cedar Pond but very often I think of Cannon Beach and the special times my husband & I have had there. The ocean is what draws us. The wonders the ocean and shore reveal are beyond words. When I seek calming thoughts my mind turns to the sea and although the sea is often stormy, turbulent, dangerous and unpredictable, the thought of the sea quiets my mind and causes me to think about God, His ways, His wonders. "Then God said , let the waters below the heavens be gathered into one place , and let the dry land appear, and it was so. And God called the dry land earth, and the gathering of the waters he called seas; and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:8,9

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, Kathy. What pretty photos this a.m. These would be beautiful framed and on display in your home. Wishing you a lovely weekend.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh Kathy these photos are fantastic. I too am drawn to the ocean but since I live smack dab in the middle of Canada I do not get to enjoy very often.
I would not worry about blogging if I had Grandchildren and a wonderful life like you have to enjoy on Cedar Pond. Enjoy. B

camp and cottage living said...

Kathy
What a beautiful place to visit. I haven't been to the Pacific since I was a teenager.
I love to see the ocean life!

A.K.W. said...

Very nice!

Amy

LindaSue said...

anemones look like dahlias! I miss the tidal pools and draw of ocean side I experienced while living in Northern California (can it have been 30 years ago? YIKES) you have the blessing of both and wisdom to fully enjoy where you are

icebear said...

some of my favorite memories as a child was climbing the rocks and gazing into the tidepools. one time, i think i was 8 or 9, my dad told me to not bother going to school that Friday morning, he took me to my favorite beach. we spent the whole day together, he let me do what i wanted, he followed along carrying our stuff and let me enjoy a day of pure freedom. My dad never took time off from work (60+ hours a week) and we were never allowed to play hookey from school, so it was a real surprise and a huge treat for me to spend a whole day with just my dad. Its a day i'll never forget. :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

Kathy, this was a fantastic post. Your photos are terrific. I wish everyone could have an up close and personal view of the Oregon coast. It truly should not be missed. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Paula said...

Wow~ these pictures are amazing, Kathy... how blessed you are to live so close to all those wonderful creatures and gorgeous scenery!

Connie said...

How neat to be able to see all these treasures of the sea up close. Great pictures, Kathy! Have a nice weekend!

Dolores said...

Oh Kathy.... I just love looking and reading your post.... our parts of the country are so different. I can live vicariously through you...

hugs to you my friend,

Deanna said...

Starfish! This must have been a huge treat to see so many undisturbed. Very nice pictures. A wonderful place to go and be at peace.

Think I need to go there!

May you have a blessed day,
d

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Kathy, what a terribly interesting post; thoroughly enjoyable and your photos are very well done. Do you know Gretchen? She just returned from Cannon Beach as well.
http://gretchenjoanna.blogspot.com/

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Kathy, I have enjoyed catching up. Your beach pictures are beautiful.

We were in your neck of the woods last weekend, but were busy with family stuff. I thought of you though!

Sorry that I have been behind on my visiting. I too am now a distracted blogger.

Hugs,

Kathy M.