"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The Dangers Of A Wandering Mind

 If I were new to blogging now , I might be inclined to name my blog Thoughts & Tales Of A Wandering Mind or some such title. My mind wanders even more when I am indoors crafting , cooking, cleaning. "Mind: noun~ a beautiful servant or a dangerous master." AU

Last week I began again my seasonal making of little flocks of sheep for nativity scenes. I have my piles of wool, containers of items to adorn the necks of the sheep, ( miniature leaves, bells, hearts, raffia ) paint , and my needle-felting tools.
 When I finally sit down to spend a few hours of crafting my mind says "ahhhhhh , now I can wander". As I am making the sheep my mind wanders over and around the many shades of black & gray wool I have and I think maybe my sheep should be spotted just like my real flock of sheep. So I make a few spotted sheep.
 But hey, my mind wanders over to the bright colors I love and there are lovely bags of turquoise wool I dyed last spring. Maybe I should make polka dotted sheep !
No... I'll make some black sheep, some gray sheep, some brown sheep. Should I make black, brown, and gray ears for those sheep ? I have so many bags of wool from sheep of all different shades. My mind's eye wanders over the little boxes of jewels and seasonal adornments I have for the necks of my sheep, but I also love the sheep unadorned. Should I simply forget the adornment?
Can you see how a simple little wool- crafting can become a real winding road for a wandering mind ? Maybe even lead her to a few dead-ends and detours. And then of course I have to spend time thinking about actually following up on some of the ideas my wandering mind gathered during her meanderings. (not all bad, this can be fun too !!! )

Mostly though, my wandering mind will flit, fly, and even settle on thoughts I have not brought under control. Fearful thoughts, worries, concerns. Often, because I am alone while crafting , there is no one to help me keep these thoughts in check,so I will turn on the t.v. for distraction and watch the news. Big mistake, the thoughts become more fearful , more worrisome, and then if I am not careful the darkness of depression begins creeping in like a low cold fog. "Fear is a slinking cat I find beneath the lilacs of my mind." Sophie Tunnell

I looked up a few quotes and Bible verses to write down and remember  because I know God , my God, does NOT cause fear and worry. He is the God who cares for me and should trials and tribulations be a big part of my life He gives me the ability to be happy and rejoice anyway. "Fear is faith that it won't work out." Sister Mary Tricky

~"Therefore do not be anxious for tomorrow ; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has troubles of its own." Matthew 6:34

~"Fear cannot take what you do not give it." Christopher Coan

~*"Put off timid , fearful, and troubled thinking. Put on love and sound judgment in the power of the Holy Spirit ( Based on II Timothy 17 , I John 4:18 )

~"There are very few monsters who warrant the fear we have of them." Andre Gide

~" Be anxious for nothing but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God and the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6,7

Yes my wandering mind meanders here, there, and everywhere when I let fear take hold, and that happens as I sit crafting at my comfortable dining room table  in my home that has all the modern conveniences and plenty of food. My family thus far is safe and healthy, all truly gifts from God. Yet I know even if none of these things were the case...if we had no home, no food, or family members suffering tragedy, I would have no excuse for the fear and worry. And I am ashamed.

How did this post get from crafting little sheep to fear and worry ? How do I get from crafting to being overcome with fear and worry ? By letting my wandering and meandering mind travel and dwell on them. Scary and dangerous , the wandering mind. Time to re-train her and bring her back from her wayward travels. " We need to brace ourselves up and realize that we are responsible for out thoughts , attitudes, and actions." Pursuit of Holiness

* quoted from Biblical Counseling Foundation book on Self-Confrontation.

17 comments:

joanne said...

your little flock seems to get cuter and cuter!
I understand the wandering/wondering mind and find the distraction of tv is actually more fear causing also. Oh the place my mind can wander if I don't keep it in check. So glad am I that I have a Saviour that I can turn to for comfort. Even then I am weak, and searching for more. It's so easy to get carried away.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Fear can drag us down into a pit, not somewhere we really want to be. It's amazing how we can be happily going along and BAM something zaps us right out of the blue. All in the hopes of taking our hearts and minds away from our awesome God and what He has done and what He is doing in our lives.

I 'love' your sheep. My nativity figures are rather small and a pair of these might just dwarf them. There is something so sweet and innocent about these creatures that you make. Do let us know when you have some of these up for sale.

Have a good week ~ FlowerLady

Deb said...

This is a very thoughtful post as your mind wandered. I think your spotted sheep are adorable and I love the little brown one. I am so happy to be the proud owner of a flock of your sheep and look so forward to displaying them once again. Even in my tiny mouse-house. :)

Beth in NEPA said...

I think the idea of polka dotted sheep is grand. If such a sheep existed just think of the wondrous color of wool you could spin.

Sandra said...

What adorable felted sheep :)

Anonymous said...

Your sheep make me smile. Your thoughts on fear and a wandering mind took me to Romans 12:1-2. So glad we have a loving God who helps us in our weakness...

sweetbriardreams said...

Oh a wondering/meandering mind - that's me! I often forget what I was originally doing as I have moved on so much. Your sheep are just gorgeous and I love them with the adornments! Happy meandering :-)

Deborah Montgomery said...

Oh, do I understand a wandering mind, full of imaginations and fears! I can be thinking of all kinds of lovely things, and then one comment or thought can get me going in the wrong direction.
Your sheep are so adorable. I think I like the plain, unadorned ones the best, although the polka-dot one sure made me smile.

Unknown said...

Hi Kathy,
A very good and timely word!! We live in a time when the world seems to be in chaos and there is constant fear talk through media, news etc. We must guard our hearts and mind and remember that God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind! Aren't we so glad to have a Saviour that promises us he never leaves or forsakes us, and that he'll supply all our needs according to his riches in glory? Oh I am, I really am! I just don't know how anyone can make it through the tough things without him or why they would want to. Oh dear didn't mean to get on my soap box, but I feel very passionate about the things of the Lord and I can tell you do to! Love the little sheep they're just so adorable!
God bless you and yours,
Teresa,
sugar, spice and whatever's nice

Connie said...

My mind wanders down the trail to fear sometimes too. I enjoyed the scriptures you shared. They are all reassuring. Your little sheep are so adorable. The brown one is especially pretty.

Texastracking said...

I keep trying to find a conversion chart for steps (I track my walking with a pedometer) - mind wandering = how many steps?
Fun and I LOVE your wee sheep - I do like the adornments and the colored ones - great fun

Unknown said...

Your sheep are so addable. I like the way you painted some for them. They have such wonderful personality.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

"Not everyone who wanders is lost" is the quote that comes to mind. I know what you mean about wool gathering; having no wise man to talk to/with means there are times I am almost comatose with fear. Like CSLewis said, "Who knew grief was so like fear?"

Anonymous said...

nice blog here! i saw you thrue other blogger...will visit more..blessings ❤

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy, I love seeing your latest sheep. As I age, my mind wanders from one thought to another. I admit that I often worry. Thank you for sharing these encouraging verses. Hope you have a nice day.

Tea in the Library said...

A lovely thoughtful post. I'm sure many of us can relate. Love the whimsical polka dot sheep! I love my little flock and am looking forward to enlarging it. The kitties still love to play with the wool ball -i give it a little wash and dry and zip it in a bag with a little cat nip now and then.

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

What darling sheep. I have a little purple one with a pink head and pink legs that my daughter needle felted for me one year. They are so fun.