"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Bird Book, Bird Nests, and Cozy Reading

 Last weekend was perfect reading weather. Storms raged over our area making this the wettest rainy season on record. After feeding the animals I decided to take a break from packing and brew a pot of tea for my husband and myself. He settled down to watch a show about chefs and I settled down to read this beautiful book The Bluebird Effect* by Julie Zickerfoose while I sipped tea from this cup by Pip *. I found this tea / coffee cup in a shop on the Oregon coast during a short get-away with my husband. I will always remember that precious time when I see this cup. The cup and the book seem meant to be together to me.
 This is one of many illustrations by the author . " And each chapter is illustrated with Zickfoose's stunning watercolor paintings and drawings. Not just individual tales about the trials and triumphs of raising birds, The Bluebird Effect mixes humor, natural history, and memoir to give readers an intimate story of a life lived among wild birds."  Quoted from the flyleaf of the book. The book is quietly stunning and a good read, especially on a rainy day .


This is one of my favorite coffee cups. I know, it could be used for tea, but I prefer to drink coffee from it and as an extra treat I add real heavy whipping cream. This cup and saucer set by Furnival is a gift from one of my husband's sisters. She especially loves books and I wish we had more time to simply discuss books, authors, illustrators... maybe one day.
 It is still raining off and on , I slosh through mud to do my chores every day. My lambs look like they're wearing boots . No respectable lamb wastes a day lounging under cover when they can be jumping, leaping, and running.When my chores are done though, I am eager to escape the mud and rain and settle down with a hot cuppa and a good book.
" I live for the moment when my gaze meets a bird's - that exchange of awareness of the "who" in each of us, the spark of understanding leaping from the bright bead of its eye to mine. ~ It's that spark gleaming in the cupped hand of my own experience that I want to bring to you. I want to tell you their stories." Julie Zickafoose (  book introduction)

I have been missing my Tea Time Tuesday celebrations and hope they're still being hosted by these gracious ladies ~Bernideen's TeaTime Blog * , Rose Chintz Cottage * , Antiques and Teacups *, and Martha *.

13 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a sweet post! I hope the rains let up for you soon.

Happy Spring ~ FlowerLady

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Your teacup and book do seem like they are meant to be together, Kathy. I love that when you sip from your cup, it remind you of your trip to the Oregon coast with your hubby. Your other cup is so pretty, too, that is meant for your coffee. We were drenched in rain last week, but it's sunny and warm here in Texas, now.

Bernideen said...

My dear Kathy:
I have been "reposting" things lately just to get through this time and I have found that a repost doesn't show up in the feed of those who put me in their sidebar favorites. I have lost some others too but hope they will find me again and so glad to have you come link this darling bird themed post. I do love that cup and saucer with the bird. I recognize that line. I hope you have a lovely day. We are about to go pick up the truck and have a big loading day! Thanks for sharing.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Kathy,
Before I say anything, I think your wee lambs are adorable! I'm not sure where my fascination for sheep comes from. All I know is that I love them and seeing a flock of them in the field brings me such peace.

Your teacup and book do seem to keep one another company, don't they? They are both lovely. I will be bringing out my bird nest this weekend. My son found it for me on one of his birding trips. I do love Spring as it is my favourite season. It just fills one's soul with joy.

I'm so glad you were able to join me this week. Have a wonderful day and Happy Spring!

Blessings,
Sandi

Rian said...

Kathy, Since I love teacups, have my favorites, and each has their own story too, your post sat well with me. And that book - I'll have to look into as it does seem fascinating... and looks like watercolor illustrations (which I also love). I have bought books just for the beautiful water color illustrations alone. Thanks so much for sharing.

Antiques And Teacups said...

It certainly has been wet...hasn't it? Lots of reading and tea! Love your teacups! The blue is lovely and I love the Furnivals, which is quite old. The book is wonderful Reminds me of Marjolien Basten...wish I were so talented! Try to keep dry...and thanks for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
Ruth

Connie said...

The book looks lovely, and it does seem to go perfectly with your tea cup.

Anonymous said...

That teacup you bought on the Oregon coast is so sweet! Love it. Those illustrations are lovely, too. Boy what a storm we got on Sunday. We were without power for 13 hours. It was perfect weather to drink tea and read...if you had light!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

How lovely...your post is full of pretty! The book looks wonderful...beautiful illustration! I love your teacups, too!

Denise said...

This post just put Me in the mood for a lovely book, a lovely cup of coffee in one of My lovely teacups.Thank You so much for the encouraging words last month You left concerning My blogging, Yes I have decided to continue.I also like to drop by to see the sweet baby animals.I'now must drop by Your shop to look at those gorgeous lambs.Hugs Denise

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Your lovely book and tea cups are the perfect antidote for this very gray and wet weather. It's so nice to find sweet souvenirs of special times that bring back those wonderful memories. The lambs must be so precious, jumping and playing. I do hope you get time to spend with your sis-in-law soon. I miss mine - they are 3000 miles away.....Take care - it's supposed to clear up a little, I think. xx Karen

Nib's End said...

So many times I have lamented that we don't live closer in order to talk about the books we love. I have very few book people in my acquaintance and I cherish every one!

Lorrie said...

Teacups and books make for a lovely combination. When it's raining, there's nothing more comforting. I can envision your lambs gamboling in the rain - a little bit like small children jumping in mud puddles.