"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Lunch ( and Tea ) On The Trail, The Oregon Trail

Our youngest grandson is enjoying his tea with us, his friends & family, as we learn a little about the Oregon Trail at Lacamas Community Center in Roy, just down the road . Karen Haas *, an actress, story teller, participant in many historical re-enactments, was our featured speaker for this luncheon entitled Lunch on The Trail. Karen portrayed a woman who traveled the Oregon Trail, singing songs and telling stories of the long, difficult, and dangerous trail many traveled in covered wagons from the Eastern states to Oregon, Washington, and California in the days of our country before railroads. ( I hope it goes without saying there were no planes & automobiles either)
We had musicians, very good musicians !
Karen had volunteers hold a rope to the dimensions of a typical covered wagon. She then "filled " the wagon with people representing an average size family of the time, and also pointed out the family would have filled their wagon with food to hopefully carry them through the journey, along with the minimum of necessary clothes, bedding, tools to aid in them when they reached their destination and needed to clear land and begin building their new homes . Imagine crowding all that into a typical SUV of our day and embarking on a 6 month journey with no stops at fast food restaurants,motels, stores....no freeways or roads either.
We made our own butter for the sourdough and cornbread some of the ladies made.
Some of the ladies of Lacamas Community Center chose to host a table . This entailed decorating the table, and bringing everything necessary for the table except the food. We tried to stick to table settings appropriate for such a luncheon, but if we were to be authentic all the tables would have had tin plates and cups and the food would have been dished out of the pots it was cooked in. Above is my table. I used a few teacups I felt looked right on the table . The table cloth is a very old hand-pieced, stitched, and quilted quilt made by my paternal grandmother in the very early 1900's. I covered it with a clear plastic cover so as not to worry about food stains.
Ruth's table. Very practical. I like her outfit too.
This is my favorite table , by Beth.
Beth placed a framed photograph and kerosene lamps in the center of her table and each place setting had a burlap pot of pansies as a take-away gift and remembrance of the luncheon.
Isn't this lovely?
Pam M's table. Pam had her grandson set up an Oregon Trail scene as a centerpiece.
This is Pam W's table. This particular quilt top was one of my favorites.
Robin's table, her quilt top is so pretty.
Another view of my table before we sat down to lunch of hearty beef stew. Two of the teacups I used are shown below. They were used in other Tea Time Tuesdays so I have linked them to previous posts.
Royal Grafton's 'Majestic'.* Thank-you LindaSue & Skip !
I am enjoying the privilege of holding our youngest grandchild while listening to Karen , realizing I am very thankful for the many people who made the difficult journey on the Oregon Trail, opening up and settling this part of the United States I call home.
~Ladies of Lacamas Community Center who helped put on this luncheon.~
Tea Time Tuesdays I link up with the ladies listed below who host many tea parties and show off the loveliest teacups & all things tea. Please click onto their links, you're sure to find something that is "your cup of tea".
  1. Martha's Favorites *
  2. Lady Katherine's Tea Parlor *
  3. Terri at Artful Affirmations *
  4. Wanda Lee at The Silken Purse *
  5. Pam at Breath Of Fresh Air *
  6. Sandi at Rose Chintz Cottage *

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Kathy, What an interesting post and a great opportunity to learn about life on the trail. I especially enjoyed your photos. Hope you have a nice day.

Debbie said...

Kathy, this lady looks like she stepped out of the pages of history. I've always been fascinated with the idea of people traveling so far and enduring such hardship and deprivation in search of land and opportunities. I've checked books out of the library that had letters written from people who traveled out to the Washington-Oregon area from more crowded areas of the East and Midwest. Their stories and journals tell heart-rending accounts of death, illness, loss, and victory. Some of those pioneers were my family who came from Jamestown to the Carolinas and eventually to Texas in the early 1800's. I can't get enough history but it's great hearing it from the people who made it in their own words. How wonderful to bring it to life in such a way to teach and to remind that all we have was not got for nothing or without great cost.
Good post, Deb

Dolores said...

I've always been interested, and loved hearing and reading stories about these very brave families.

This was such a wonderful opportunity you all had. Sure sounds like a fun day.... good music, good story telling and those lovely and interesting tables.
Love the pictures!

Southern Comfort said...

That is a wonderful activity for you and your family to participate in together. I love the individual ideas for table decorations. This is something I would have loved to be a part of.

Paula said...

This was so interesting, Kathy~ and I loved the idea of "hosting' a table... everyone's decorations and dishware were so wonderful to see!

Pondside said...

Because I've visited your part of the world and into Oregon, I found this so very interesting. I've also been following 'Sundays With Steve' and Steve Matlock's offering of his great-aunt's diary from her trip to Oregon from Missouri. So interesting! I love the idea of this luncheon - what a spirited group of ladies you have!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! We have similar bowls that were on your table.

Blessings,

Amy

Connie said...

This looks like it was a fun and educational day, Kathy. I liked seeing how all the different tables were decorated. I imagine the grandkids enjoyed it too. :)

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

What a great post! I am new to your blog and I am so glad that I found it. It is so interesting to read your posts.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Good morning Kathy,
What a wonderful presentation and luncheon! It must have been a real education to partake in all of that! Thank you for sharing. It was a wonderful tea!

Blessings,
Sandi

Lady Jane said...

You ladies did a fantastic job. The whole day looked like fun. I enjoyed all of it from the storyteller to those marvelous tablescapes. Good Job!!!

yvette said...

What a fun and entertaining day out, and special moments with your family.Lovely teatime. yvette@twistedvines

Road Warrior said...

I would have enjohyed being there! Thanks for the pictures and story. Love you!!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Kathy,

Thank you for sharing this very special event. I would have loved being there too. The tables were wonderful, an it sounds like all of the activities were too!

Have a wonderful weekend,

Kathy M.

Terri said...

OH so very interesting! I love seeing all the tables. I can't even imagine what those brave people went through.
Hugs,
Terri

PeregrineBlue said...

oh how i love this post and your respect for our history. i love american history and have read the lives of almost all the presidents either biographies or autobiographies, lots about mark twain and recently the Lewis and Clark expedition which was beyond a miracle. and you always pick the perfect music Kathy. i adore your blog

Lady Katherine said...

I so loved this post! So interesting! I loved all the tables, but I have to say the enamelware stole my heart. For I do love it so! Sounds like a fun and learning day!!!