"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Monday, March 21, 2011

Ram Tough, Ram Destructive

I happened to be looking out an upstairs window one morning last week while I sipped my first cup of coffee.I heard a loud "THWUNK" and saw the tall stump of an old cottonwood tree sway. Then I saw my ram Goth take aim and run full force into the stump again and topple it! Goth examines his handiwork. ( Head work?) The other cottonwood stump still stands, but for how long? The two cottonwood trees towered over our property when we first moved here. We built a ram pen around them and years of my rams ramming them and chewing away their bark killed the trees. ( They are cottonwoods, we did not care ) Even though the trees are dead and the stumps have begun to rot, I could not have pushed them over with a sledge hammer, or even a car without causing damage to the car . So you can see, the power of a ram is mighty.Now the tall stumps of the trees are finally being pushed down by the mighty force of a ram.
"ram, n. 1. An instrument or device for driving, forcing, or crushing by heavy blows or thrusts. " Funk & Wagnalls New Standard Dictionary I think the pens the zoos build for rhinos would be perfect for Goth.

14 comments:

Southern Comfort said...

Goth strikes again! He is truly amazing, with awesome strength and aggressiveness. I'm just glad he belongs to you and not me. It must take special skills, pens, and equipment to handle him. We used to have a Brahman bull but he was as gentle as a lamb. Lambs are gentle aren't they? I've never had one of them either.

icebear said...

I think a rhino pen might be just the thing! It is impressive how powerful such a compact animal can be. He looks tough as nails...probably tougher!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Ha! Good job, Goth, you go! And the trees thought that they only had to be afraid of beavers, lol.

Seriously, those horns look kind of scary, Kathy. I haven't seen anything like them. What breed is that? Does he ever go after YOU GUYS?

Have a wonderful week and God bless,

Kathy M.

Pondside said...

Oh dear - that's a scary set of horns on Goth! He is very well-named!
I hope you are always safe from those horns.

The Country Nest said...

Wow! I love that story. I am an Aries, the sign of a ram. I have just come from a meeting at school and it was a difficult one, but I gathered facts and professional opinions and stood my ground! Like the ram. Your story just made my day and gave me the relief I needed so much....loved it. Thanks
Donna

Timi said...

I think Goth would like to help you to have some logs for you fire...:o))
But it can be very dangerous, too...

Texas Land Sales  said...

The lamb made our tree fall?Its kinda interesting to think that he can be considered as a kid, plus the fact that the tree were seemed so hard.Anyway thanks for sharing.

Connie said...

Oh my gosh! It's frightening to think how strong he is. I don't know how you can have a ram pen strong enough to hold him!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy,

At the moment we are in the middle of lambing season too! I am waiting on-call to go help with lambing. I just love those wee ones!

The Jacob Sheep in our neighboring pastures are de-horned. Now I can see why. Have a look on my blog about the latest scientific finding on sheep behaviour. Ha! But I have to wonder what was 'Goth' thinking when he took out your tree! :-)

Anonymous said...

Rams and bucks can be destructive sometimes!

Amy

LindaSue said...

He is just plain overwhelming - beautiful babies but oh my goodness! You and Jim work hard at keeping your breeding to the highest standards - wonderful fleeces and healthy offspring - it must be love to keep Goth the Ram a dam a ding dong around! Love your tales of gkids and teas and sheep with or without tails!.

Paula said...

Yikes, Kathy! Now I remember why we decided not to keep a ram around here...

Debbie said...

I don't know....I kind of thought that he looked as though he was watching to see if you had seen what he did. :D I can hear the other sheep saying, "well you've done it now." Maybe not.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

I've often wondered if their heads hurt, are they trying to knock some sense into their heads...what gives with all the butting? My sheep do it and they are either wethers or ewes. Strange...Goth is a handsome, if terrifying, ram.