"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Wood Duck Watch on Cedar Pond

~This is where I sit when watching the comings and goings of the pond. It is a nice spot for sipping hot coffee in the morning ( when the weather is nice) and a great spot to sit in the evening with my husband, especially when we get a camp fire going....I have noticed I see the wood duck enter the snag every evening about 6:30 - 7:00. I don't know where she goes, or where she comes from....but she arrives and enters the snag so quickly I cannot snap a picture of her!
~I did get a picture of the two ducks that survived the coyote massacre...they are swimming peacefully on the other side of the pond. They have a nest in their pen and I noticed the runner duck female ( right ) carefully covers her eggs with feathers and wood shavings before she leaves them to swim in the pond. The male is a tiny Call duck, and I have seen him and the female mating so I know the eggs are fertile, but i cannot help wondering just what the ducklings will look like ...a cross between a Call duck and a Runner! In terms for you non-duck people, this is like a Chihuahua male mating with a Greyhound female . ~The island was beautiful! It is covered in Lilies of the Valley and ferns..shaded by Cedar, Cottonwood and Alder trees. The wild ducks are still here too, nesting somewhere on the island.The pond was still enough for the reflection to be almost mirror - like. ~Here is the top of the snag, about 16 - 20 feet high, where the wood duck quickly flies in. I saw her tonight and I think she was deliberately toying with me. As I was quietly observing the top of the snag I heard.... then felt, a WHOOSH as she flew barely 2 feet directly OVER MY HEAD and alighted on the snag and into the crevice. So, she is still here, I am assuming the ducklings are not hatched out, and I will keep watch.
"Four ducks on a pond,A grass bank beyond, A blue sky of spring, white clouds on the wing: What a little thing To remember for years- To remember with tears!" William Allingham ( 1824-1889) Irish Poet

10 comments:

Shelley said...

I love those chairs - you really do have a lovely spot to sit! I hope you are able to see those WOod Duck babies! I'm checking our Wood Duck box this weekend and praying that they have decided to nest there.

Mary Humphrey said...

She is beautiful. I look forward to hearing about the hatching.

I am still waiting for the canadian geese gosslings to hatch. I thought it would be the first of the week. Now I think I need to re-check my calendar. The pair comes each spring and the family leaves once again late fall.

Anonymous said...

Such a pretty place to have a sitting area. The reflection in the pond is so nice. Keep us posted on the ducks. Enjoy your special day.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

What a lovely spot to sip a cuppa with a beloved. I envy you the pond with the fowl and ever changing parade of babies.

noble pig said...

Well that will be an interesting looking family. I can't wait to see them!

LindaSue said...

Lovely posting and I'm glad for an update on the duck population. When the feed store has ducklings for sale in the spring I'm always tempted - but would be a study in frustration between our drier climate (no water feature on our property!) and predators. The island is an ideal place to shelter the ducks - thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

What a peaceful spot you have there! I can't wait to see what the call/runner ducklings look like. Your ducks are so lucky to have such a beautiful pond and island to call home - enjoy!

Stella Jones said...

A lovely post as usual. Isn't it a shame that one eats one in the animal kingdom! I'm glad two of the ducks survived the attack.
Blessings, Star

Southern Comfort said...

Those photos show a really beautiful area that you have. What a great place to sit and observe the different animals as they go about their business of life and survival.

BT said...

I think it's wonderful to have a good spot to sit in. Jim and I have various spots, depending on where the sun is. We have 2 chairs and a table like yours but they are joined together and called a 'Jack and Jill' bench! Is the pond on your land or outside it?