"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Duck Eggs With Lovage & Chives

Eggs, farm fresh eggs laid by my poultry. Chickens, ducks, & turkeys I tend. They are fed not only commercial poultry feeds, but fresh greens from our gardens. The large white egg in the lower left of the picture is one of many eggs laid by my flock of ducks.
This is one of my Pekin ducks. Yes, she looks like the duck you see in the insurance commercials . ( I love those commercials )My Pekins are spending most of their time sitting on a clutch of eggs. Since my flock of ducks has been very prolific this spring in their egg laying I take quite a few for our consumption.
I have a herb garden where I cut herbs for home cooking, and when you have an abundance of farm fresh eggs and farm fresh herbs you have the makings of some good eats ! Above you can see the lovage I am growing in my herb garden. Lovage tastes like celery,is very tasty in salads and also...
...with eggs. Here are some of my eggs pictured with herbs from my garden. Lovage ( upper right ), chives, and thymes. ( left )

The duck eggs are the big and bright orange eggs. My ducks free-range which enables them to eat all the grass and greens they desire. The greens are what give eggs their bright orange, almost red-orange color. If your eggs are this richly orange you are eating some good eggs ! I whipped these eggs up with freshly chopped herbs, seasoning salt, and cooked them up for dinner the other night. My husband & I sprinkled grated cheddar cheese over them, served them with buttered toast and YUM !

I am joining the Thursday Farm Acre Blog Hop* today. Please check it out, you will learn so much as you visit the blogs participating in this Thursday event even if you do not have a farm or acreage . I hope your weekend is full of blessings and the enjoyment of this beautiful world God has created for us. "It is I who made the earth, and created man upon it. I stretched out the heavens with My hands , and I ordained all their hosts. " Isaiah 45:12

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a delightful post and photos this a.m., Kathy! The eggs look delicious and I now know what lovage tastes like now, thanks to you. I hope you enjoy the weekend.

A.K.W. said...

We used to have Pekin ducks, Blue Swede ducks, Black Swede ducks,and Khaki Campbell ducks. Now we just have Muscovy ducks.

Amy

LindaSue said...

having chickens gives me a nice sense of "always something I can eat" - fresh eggs and my chickens free range for a couple of hours a day so I also have those dark orangey yolks. Thanks for talking about lovage - I have never tried it and I'm trying to get a good herb garden going - makes any foods taste SO much better - fresh rosemary and sage turn a chicken breast from blah to YUM
love your ducks - they are definitely not a good creature for my area (not lots of open water and too many predators)

Pondside said...

There is nothing like an egg from one's own flock - it spoils one for anything else! I love your ducks - we just have muscovies right now.

Connie said...

I enjoyed this post and liked the photos of your duck, Kathy. I bet the eggs were delicious! I hope you have a nice weekend.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Very charming post, Kathy. Thanks for showing us some great eggs and pretty pictures.

Kathy M.

Robyn said...

I love your duck.. She's beautiful!!.. I've never eaten eggs from a duck or a turkey.. Do they taste any different than a chicken egg? That loveage sounds really interesting. I've never heard of it before..

Dolores said...

Our daughter has raised 6 baby chickens and now has a hen house ....I'm sending her the link to this post so she can see your beautiful eggs and ducks....
Hugs,

Home Instructed Students said...

Thanks for sharing on the HomeAcre Hop. Come back and visit us this week: http://everythinghomewithcarol.com/self-sufficient-homeacre-hop-4/

Julene said...

Hello Kathy, It is a joy to return to your blog after a long break from being a regular! Your eggs are beautiful and the addition of fresh herbs peaks my taste buds!
I have started a new blog called "The New Season" because we have moved to a smaller home and smaller property. We still have our animals and enough land to keep projecting, growing and living simply. I welcome a visit from you!
Have a wonderful week! We sure appreciate this rain! It makes it easier to tend the gardens and keep things hydrated! :) Julene/Flower

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Kathy, those eggs are beautiful and bet they taste wonderful. I love buying eggs from the young folks up the road...helps us both.

Paula said...

Those eggs are beautiful, Kathy... and your herb garden is wonderful!
I love those "Aflac" commercials too... especially the one that came out a couple of years ago with the goat eating the paper in the office that kept saying, "Nah.". *hahaha*