"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Farm Junk Planters

 A person can get pretty creative with old farm junk. Old rusty chicken feeders and waterers make interesting and even quirky planters.
 This old rabbit feeder stuffed with pansies and lobelia hangs on my feed room door.
 The sedums and Ajuga come up every year all by themselves. I have only to remember to bring the junk out from behind the chicken pens where I hide it during the winter months. Sometimes I add a little topsoil or compost .

This pile of farm junk sits at the fence line separating our back yard from the woods behind the house  and close to my chicken & sheep pens. Momma hen has been taking her new little chicks for walks around the junk . The hummingbirds are enjoying the blue Ajuga spires. The wild birds perch on the old stuff as if I put it there especially for them.
I have a bit more junk stashed away . My visit to the Country Chicks event in Rochester, WA last week has inspired me to use it all or get rid of it. ( I know which option my husband is hoping for.)

14 comments:

Deb said...

It looks wonderful. I love the old rabbit feeder; simply charming. Momma and her chicks...how cute is that. Deb

Debbie said...

Inspiration is flowing from you! I love how you fill up your space. Old containers often end up in the trash, or they end up in the antique store where they sell them for an arm and a couple legs! ;)
Debbie

Debbie said...

PS. Have you checked the prices on old poultry and pet feeders? Wow!

Farmgirl Cyn said...

i would take any one of these junkers in a heartbeat!

Pondside said...

I like the way you think! We have some old feeders down in the shed, and they would be perfect....thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Great photos, Kathy. We passed a store today with a yard full of just such fun items. We want to go back and shop!
Wishing you a blessed Mother's Day.

Connie said...

You are so clever and so creative to make planters from these items. Love seeing the hen and her chicks. :)

GardenOfDaisies said...

Love your "farm junk" planters. I think you might just start a whole new decorating trend. :-)

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

I just love it all! It looks so country and lovely!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

This are so cool!

Kathy M.

Robyn said...

It looks amazing! You have an incredible talent..

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Kathy, such wonderfully creative ways to use "junque".

Lisa Lynn said...

So cute! Thanks so much for sharing this on The HomeAcre Hop!

Unknown said...

Don't look like junk to me!