"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Summer Tea ~ Dolls Or Chickens ?

 We've had the pleasure of 2 granddaughters staying with us for a few days. They love having tea parties and I told them they could be in charge of the next tea party. Their original plan was to have a chicken tea party. I was all for this because I have so many chicken-themed things we could use for the table-settings, and dishes & cups to go along with it. But no, they meant chickens as their guests at the tea party. Dress up the chickens, serve tea to the chickens.....
 ...I am all for interacting with my chickens, but my chickens are not so tame as to sit at the table or tolerate wearing clothes. ( maybe I should work on this for next year ? ) All I could envision beyond the first few moments of the chickens looking cute was chickens quickly resorting to being chickens by squawking , pooping, and scattering all the tea things as they flung themselves off the table to escape. Or us holding unhappy chickens throughout our tea. Fortunately the girls decided to invite their American Girl dolls instead.
 The girls decided on tuna fish , berries, and peppermint tea. While I thought they were setting the tea table I spied them trying to catch the goldfish in the small pond beside our large outdoor table. They were surprised to see me snap a picture of them ( maybe because they know they're supposed to only look at the fish, not hold them ? ).
 The girls insisted on flower adorned cups & teapot.
 This is one of my Rose Chintz by Gracie China teacups. It comes in sets of 4 and I have used these tea cups many times. They are lovely and also comfortable to hold and sip tea from. The granddaughters seem to appreciate them too, always a bonus !
 Happy girls, happy dolls, happy grandma & grandpa...
...and if the chickens were capable of comprehending what they escaped, they would be happy too !

Please join me in sharing tea time with the ladies listed below:

 

19 comments:

Sandra said...

What a wonderful and fun post. Love that your grand-daughters wanted to share a Tea Party (with the chickens). But, with their dolls it all turned out lovely. Enjoyed seeing your fish pond too.

Beth in NEPA said...

Such fun.... I suppose it was better to fete the dolls. But I would have "paid" to see the chickens dressed up.... HEHEHE

Deb said...

AW - this was so cute. Loved it all and laughed just imagining the chicken feathers flying. Deb

Martha's Favorites said...

How wonderful to have the grandchildren with you. They have grown so much and are so beautiful. Love the American Dolls, my grandchildren have them as well. Enjoy! Martha

Unknown said...

Phew... seems those chickens had a narrow escape!! Don't you just love the imagination of children? I can remember dressing up an outside cat we had, who was not willing and who promptly made it's escape up a tree wearing a doll's dress, hee hee:) I'm sure the dolls were a better idea. Lovely party
Teresa
sugar, spice and whatever's nice

Bee Lady said...

What great memories you are making with those girls! I used to have tea parties all the time, but haven't done so in a long time. Makes me want to bake some scones! Love your beautiful teacups.

Cindy Bee
PS - One year I made scarves for the girls, and matching scarves for the American Girl dolls for Christmas. That year my sister and I took them to the American Girl store in Chicago for the rest of their Christmas present from us. They loved it and so did I!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh Happy happy happy and now so am I how wonderful to have all that fun and those chickens are lucky:) Hug B

xinex said...

Your grandkids are so cute! Just imagining chickens in a tea party makes me laugh, lol....Christine

Susan said...

Soooo cute, your granddaughters. Looks like they had so much fun. Susan

Susan said...

Soooo cute, your granddaughters. Looks like they had so much fun. Susan

Deanna said...

Kathy,
Beautiful children sipping from pretty teacups…and all with cute dolls. Wonderful memories being made and pics to prove it. I can only imagine using real china as a little girl having tea. I never was allowed to use real china. I missed out!

Blessings to you,
d

Bernideen said...

What a darling setting for tea with these sweet girls. Loved their dolls and dishes!

Antiques And Teacups said...

Well a chicken tea party would have definitely have been different...I was "blessed" with only 3 grandsons, now in their 20s. They were NOT ever interested in tea parties. Sigh...Thanks for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
Ruth

Nib's End said...

This post gave me a chicken chuckle. There is a children's book in this...Can't you just picture it?

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

We were blessed with four granddaughters so we've had many tea parties over the years. I can't say I would enjoy chickens at a tea party, dressing up the dolls was a much better idea.

Carrie said...

What a great story! I kept picturing chickens coming for tea instead of dolls :). Very pretty teacups, and it sounds like your granddaughters had a wonderful time (especially with the fish pond).

Connie said...

Chickens as tea party guests--now that's a new idea! Haha! It sounds like you all had a wonderful time. :)

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

How fun. It would be cute to see the chickens dressed and sitting at the table! The dolls and the real life dolls are adorable! What a sweet time!

Deborah Montgomery said...

oh, how much fun! I sure would like to see those chickens dressed up!!