"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Monday, February 13, 2012

I Lost..No, I Won! Thank-you Vickie ~

Vickie Fears & I had a friendly blogging competition on who could eliminate the most underground varmints in a year.Vickie and her family farm suffer terribly from the devastation groundhogs cause, and my husband and I ( and our property) suffer from mole destruction. Please do not take this lightly because it is pretty bad. Anyway, Vickie Fears is a fearsome ( pun intended) foe of the varmints and she won 2 years in a row. I intended to send her a prize and she told me "no", she was sending me a prize for being such a good loser. I like the sound of that...being a good loser, well, if that includes a prize I can deal with it. Little did I know that when I opened my prize I would cry because it was so perfect, and so precious.Look at the ink & watercolor above I received in the mail from her.How did you know Vickie, that this would mean so much to me? Vickie, you truly caught the spirit of Abel here and also, you portrayed the eyes of a ram perfectly, a feat I do not see often. The eyes of a sheep or goat are hard to capture just right, but you did! Abel was a ram I loved, a triplet lamb from my very first Jacob sheep, Joy. Joy died of old age ( 17 years old) in our garden, and Abel was a very good ram who never displayed the bad behavior rams are notorious for. Abel also seemed to be constantly adorned with greenery in a way no other ram I have ever had has displayed.Most of the sheep I have now are in some way related to Joy & Abel, and I appreciate them more now as the years have gone by .Vickie, I do not think I can adequately express how much your gift / prize has touched me, and how much of a treasure it already is. Thank-you, very much.Please check out Vickie Fear's blog* and be sure to click onto her web-site showing her art.

11 comments:

Connie said...

What a wonderful and thoughtful gift! She is quite a talented artist! :)

Anonymous said...

That is lovely!

Amy

Vickie said...

Aw, Kathy, you are too kind. I'm humbled by your sweet words... I'm glad you like the drawing of Abel and I really had fun doing it! Never done a Jacob ram before! Now, I REALLY know what they look like! Blessings!

LindaSue said...

WOW - now that is a fabulous prize - - great catch on the look Miz Vickie.I now have a serious affliction of gophers and am in full admiration of you both - hard little varmints to kill or catch!

Anonymous said...

What a perfect and thoughtful gift from such a talented lady!

Paula said...

Oh my goodness~ it is beautiful! I already knew Vickie was a talented artist, but this is amazing!

Dolores said...

Vickie is a very talented artist and so thoughtful and sweet.
The picture is wonderful!

Vee said...

What a sweet gift! Vickie is so talented and a very good varmint warrior.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Oh, it IS beautiful and so thoughtful. May you all be varmint free this year.

Kathy M.

Lady Jane said...

What a lovely well thought out gift! I too suffer from voiles I think they are called here. When all the snow (not much this year, Yay...)is gone we see all the tunnels around the yard. How do you get rid of them? Between them and the grubs that turn into Japanese beetles I am pulling out my hair from spring to fall. LJ

Lady Jane said...

What a lovely well thought out gift! I too suffer from voiles I think they are called here. When all the snow (not much this year, Yay...)is gone we see all the tunnels around the yard. How do you get rid of them? Between them and the grubs that turn into Japanese beetles I am pulling out my hair from spring to fall. LJ