"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Jeannie's Quilts ~ 'Liberty Or Death'

Jeannie Austin is amazing. Her quilts show a woman who is not only talented in quilting, but design, family history, story-telling, and sharing her skills with the community .Her love of quilting spills over into her family & community in great abundance. Because so many wanted to see her quilts and photograph them , Jeannie brought them to the Lacamas Community Center in our little community and with help, hung them up for photographing. There were a few of us snapping pictures and I missed some very good shots of her quilts, but I hope the pictures I did capture show her quilts in good light. Please click onto any pictures you want enlarged for better viewing. Close-up of one square. Jeannie's quilts are stories told in fabric, and most of her quilts are fabric & thread stitching her family history.I wish I had taken notes on what she was saying as each quilt was unfurled to be photographed, and this post shows only one quilt. I will be sharing the quilts I photographed in coming posts, but really feel her quilts are works of art . I think she could hold a quilt show and easily fill a large room with them. I did not get pictures of the backs and bindings of the quilts, but they too, were worthy of their own display.Jeannie inspired me to sew with care, creativity, and an attitude of sewing for the future generations to come. With the high price of fabric, the rarity of hand-sewn & hand-quilted items, combined with the love invested in a quilt, it is well to consider the design and future of any quilt you set your heart to make, and make it well! * I am thankful for women who freely share their skills and knowledge with other women , thereby passing on the joy of creating a life well-lived and well-loved within the means and abilities God has granted .

17 comments:

A.K.W. said...

Very nice!

I have a new blog since I switched over everything to Google. Here is the link to my new blog: http://pinepod.blogspot.com

Amy

GardenOfDaisies said...

What beautiful work she does!

Connie said...

Her quilting is beautiful! What a talent she has. :)

Pondside said...

Your friend is an artist and the words of inspiration/encouragement and a wee bit of warning about doing things right are 'spot on'!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Wow! What a great idea that she has too.

Deanna said...

Hi Kathy.
What a talented Lady Friend you have. Her quilts are beautiful. Can't you imagine one of these quilts laid out on your bed to enjoy?
Sweet blessings to you,
d

Cynthia said...

Oh my gosh! These truly are works of art. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Wow...she is so talented on many levels. I really enjoyed this.
Karen

PeregrineBlue said...

so happy to hear you are well and in touch with the world. i have been meaning to write to you but always seem to get caught in one thing or another.

what beautiful quilts. and at such an appropriate time. our country needs all the prayers and good thoughts we can give it.

as a matter of fact i am thinking of writing a small post about "investing in america".

much love and hugs to you all.

Anonymous said...

What a grand opportunity to get to see and photograph her quilts. Thanks for sharing with us.

Martha said...

What a talented lady. And isn't it nice when we hear "voices from the quilts" -- for they do, indeed, tell a story!

Lady Jane said...

What a beautiful quilt! I want to do a very nice quilt one of these days. After some of my mini kits are finished then I am going to turn my eye to quilting. Hugs. LJ

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Such lovely quilts and such a talented lady!

Dolores said...

Beautiful work of art!!!

Denise said...

Thank you for your encouragement.It means a lot to me.Yes,her quilts are works of art,so involved and well done.For myself though I'm going over to your esty shop and taking a look at your sheep.I collect them.They remind me of Christ My Shepard and Christ the lamb :)

Betty said...

The quilt is so beautiful and the workmanship of it is astounding.

Stella Jones said...

Lovely lady, beautiful quilts. So are yours incidentally. I just had to click on the square at the bottom and look at yours too.