"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Cairo TeaCup ~ TeaTime Tuesday

This teacup was one offered to me by my husband's sisters as we cleaned up their parent's home for the new residents. I had never noticed this teacup before but was immediately smitten.I even made myself some tea to sip from her ( for I think of this cup as "her") when I took a break.
Moths. Have you ever seen moths on a teacup before?
This teacup is feminine in all the right ways, but not too feminine.

By the term "not too feminine" I think I mean the teacup embraces nature and all I love about the world God created without being fussy. The design has moths, big and gawky Asiatic birds,
and beetles !I have never seen beetles on any other china pattern.Most certainly NOT too feminine.Right up my alley though, as I spent a great part of my childhood looking for and capturing insects, lizards, turtles, frogs, salamanders,and keeping pets that make many of my friends scream and run the other way...quickly. I still help my grandchildren find frogs around Cedar Pond, and am a great admirer of dragonflies. Any teacups celebrating dragonflies?
The design is Cairo by Coalport.I have been trying to research this pattern and see it comes in not only this color, but blue, green, and gold..maybe more.I could not find any history on the design or why it is called Cairo.
Look at the treat my husband brought home for me.A chocolate covered strawberry. A pot of green tea, and an early Valentine treat for me!


Oh, I really do love this teacup!

Thank-you for joining me for today's celebration of teacups and all things tea.I am linking up with the ladies listed below for Tea Time Tuesday, and they are lovely hostesses.Please click onto their names and enjoy the teacups, table-settings,recipes and ruminations on tea time from all over the world.  ~

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, Kathy. This is such a unique and pretty set. I know it is very special to you.

rkbsnana said...

What a sweetie you have. That is such a pretty teacup. Enjoy

Deb said...

Gorgeous tea-cup. Very unique.

JC said...

That is a nice cup. I have a mini tea cup collection. Mostly from my Grand Mother that my Mom gave me.

I do appreciate a fancy tea cup or set.

The early heart celebration was nice of your h to do. I love a good chocolate strawberry .. oh, who's kidding who, I love any chocolate.

XO,
JC

Connie said...

What an intereting pattern! I like the celebration of nature it represents too.

Antiques And Teacups said...

Hi Kathy. I LOVE that pattern, and it is valuable as teacups go. Good choice! The pattern is actually quite old and dates to the mid 18th century. It was an artist's idea of what Cairo was like...never having been there...with his inspiration from Chinese porcelains. An Englishman's view of the far east. Wonderful! Thanks for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
Ruth

Malinda Tamlyn said...

Kathy, I have never seen a moth or beetle on a tea cup. I do not have a dragonfly on a tea cup but I do have one on a blue porcelain shoe. The shoe is for sale in my store. Thank you sharing your pretty little tea cup. It was very interesting.
Reuzeit Emporium Blog

Terri said...

Hello Kathy,
Oooooh I am loving your new cup! I have it too...in blue! Yay! It is such a unique design...as you mention in your fabulous post, that it has unusual bugs and such adorning it. The exotic bird inside always delights me.
Here is a link to Tea Cozie Cottage's post about her green one:
http://teacoziecottage.blogspot.ca/2013/01/welcome-to-my-tea-come-in-and-have-seat.html
I saw Ruth's comment, now I know a little more about it.
My backstamp is a little different from yours. I don't remember it having the pattern name on it.
Thanks for your great post.
Hugs,
Terri

Princesa Nadie said...

What a lovely tea cup!
Visiting you has been a pleasure

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Kathy,
Oh, I am loving your teacup! What a wonderful pattern. You sound a lot like me when I was a girl for I too used to catch salamanders and frogs, beetles, and the like. Doesn't make you very popular with the other girls however. I have a son the same way and now his little guy is a nature lover too. ;) Must be genetic!!
Thank you for sharing your wonderful teacup with us and Happy Valentines Day to you and your hubby.

Blessings,
Sandi

xinex said...

My favorite china has birds on them so I really like this cup, Kathy. Very, very pretty!....Christine

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Kathy, I think of that cup as feminine also; it's beautiful.

Bernideen said...

Yes - a lovely cup and saucer. The strawberry looks very delicious! Thank you so much for linking to "Friends Sharing Tea". I also visited Just Chickens.

Felicity W said...

Hi Kathy,
Thank you so much for the detailed introduction of your coalport cup. Yes, the cup is very special having moth, beetles and many other animals decorated around. It's really you considering that you like animals so much.

Felicity

Jocelyn said...

What a lovely teacup! Such a unique pattern.

Jocelyn @
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Gorgeous! Very unique in form and design pattern! I'm sure you love it and it's something very special to you. I love the nature motiff it has, just lovely. Thank you for your sweet and kind visit.
FABBY

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I am not a big tea drinker, but find it pretty sweet that I also posted about tea on Tuesday!
I think I would drink more of it if I had a tea cup this unique!

Clara said...

Your teacup is so lovely. I love china with bugs and birds. If I see one I have to add it to my collection. I'm now your newest follower.
~Clara

Jan Hermann said...

Indeed that teacup is feminine and very different! Oh I love green tea and with a chocolate covered strawberry, too yet! Yum!

Jan ♥

Two Cottages And Tea said...

What a pretty teacup, love the nature motif, and your chocolate strawberry looks so good! Happy Valentine's day to you!
Nancy

Nib's End said...

It is such a delight to be given the opportunity to see the world through another person's eyes. That is a teacup that I would have passed by without a second glance...not anymore--you have given me an entirely new way of looking at it and a real appreciation of its beauty. I will never again look at a tea cup with any kind of insect on it that I don't also see you as a girl stalking them through the garden. I'm glad the cup and saucer went to someone like you, Kathy.

Anonymous said...

What a prize from your family heirlooms to cherish and enjoy! I love the thick pedestal bottom - and the moth and creepy crawlers are nicely balanced by the fanciful bird! A lovely Valentine treat and display - be ye blessed!
Joy!
Kathy