"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Tea Time Tuesday ~ Prudence Olive-Egger

 I featured Prudence and her brother Cheepers in a blog post* awhile ago. There she is , a cute little chick sitting in one of my teacups.
 Prudence is all grown up now, and at almost 7 months of age she is a sleek black hen whose feathers give off a beautiful metallic green shine when the sun lights on them. Her mother is an Americauna hen who lays minty green colored eggs. Her father is a Marans , a breed of chicken noted for their dark chocolate brown colored eggs. I was excited to see the color eggs Prudence would lay. Last month she laid her first egg...
... and I am so happy to say she is Prudence the olive-egger ! Yes, she laid the olive egg in the center of the eggs I gathered on her first day of laying. I don't think I'll be bringing her indoors to sit in a teacup for any more Tea Time Tuesdays ,but I will give her a special treat of cracked corn and maybe some of the pumpkin left over from our fall decorating. I think she'd appreciate that more, but not as much as I appreciate her olive eggs.

 
 ~Thankful today for a warm home , abundant food, and my husband's love.


16 comments:

Pondside said...

I don't think I've ever seen an olive egg - what a surprise that must have been! She is a beauty!

Deanna said...

Kathy,
Those are gorgeous colored eggs! Gorgeous. God sure knows how to make every species special.
Thank you for sharing these eggs. A treat for me to see.
Blessings,
d

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Oh my goodness! I have a black hen who looks identical to yours - with the green colors in her feathers in the sunlight! - and she hasn't started laying yet! Oh I wonder what color her eggs may be... I'm so excited now. It should be any day now, I think. I loved the picture of her in the teacup, too cute! I have hens that want to drink coffee with us... they do have quite the funny personalities don't they! Enjoyed my visit here today, popping over from Bernideen's linkup :)

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I love to see chickens running around a yard...and those are some beautiful eggs!!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a delightful post about a lovely chicken and her olive colored egg. What a treat it must be to collect these pretty eggs each day.

Thanks for sharing ~ FlowerLady

Christina Paul said...

Such a delightful post- what beautiful eggs and the chicks in the cups are too adorable!

Theresa said...

Beautiful eggs, love the green one:) Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Oh what gorgeous eggs, Kathy! My youngest son raises chickens and I think the eggs and the chickens are just beautiful. He does this in the city of Dallas, of all places. When he gives me some eggs I am always thrilled!
Your garden room in a previous post, is just such a relaxing, cozy spot! What a blessing to read or do needlework in that special room.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

The sight of chickens running about the yard reminds me of days spent on my grandparents' farm. Those were the best! Love the little chicks and oh my, has Prudence ever grown into a handsome hen. The eggs are beautiful. The olive egg is especially pretty. So glad you have shared with us this week, Kathy, and I'm happy to have you partying with me again.

Autumn blessings,
Sandi

Antiques And Teacups said...

Ahhh...how cute! I haven't had a chick visit the tea party before I am honored Prudence & Cheepers visited! So cute! Wish I were closer...I love farm fresh eggs!
Ruth

ellen b. said...

Great looking chickens and I really like the shot of all those varied colored eggs!

Bernideen said...

After I grew up and left home, my Mother turned her home into a small farm and had chickens, cows and horses. It was a shock to me because I was in the "1st" family - she remarried so it was all very new to me. She had many colored eggs like yours. When I would go home there was always great change. Even peacocks. I think you have caused me to remember today! She and my step father have both passed. I think it would be wonderful children to grow up with farm animals, etc. So glad you shared and participated.

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Hi Kathy! I've never seen green eggs! So beautiful! Yeas, she deserves a treat!
P.S. Thank you SO much for your comment on my Rainier Trip post. You can't imagine how important it is for me! It just made my day! Thank again!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

All of the eggs are pretty but an olive one sure is unique.

Karen said...

Hi Kathy,
Wow! Prudence is all grown up. What a cute wee chick she was and she now lays such interesting eggs. Belated Teacup Tuesday! Karen

Connie said...

Prudence is a pretty hen. I've never seen olive-colored eggs before!