"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Friday, December 5, 2008

Cookies and Another Santa

~This is a Santa I made about 20 years ago. I drew out the pattern on paper, and my Hubby cut him out of wood. I then painted him, added toys and hid a music box in his sack. I bring him out every year. I made 2 more and gave them away as gifts. Funny thing is, his face so looks like someone we know and I couldn't help thinking the little guy kind of took on a bit of life ( not in a spooky way ) as he stared at me while I worked on him.~Here is a plate of sugar cookies I baked up tonight using the recipe from yesterdays' post. The grandchildren are not here and I did not want to take the time to roll out and cut the dough, I am busy finishing up things for the bazaar this weekend. So I simply pulled a roll of the dough out of the fridge, sliced it like one would a loaf of bread, baked the sliced bits of cookie dough, cooled the cookies, and decorated with the powdered sugar icing and sprinkles. Voila ! Freshly baked Christmas cookies and hot coffee . ( The larger snowman in the picture was made by my Hubby's youngest sister and her husband who live next door. ) ~And just what would Christmas be like around Cedar Pond without a decorated Labrador Retriever or two or three or four ? Here is Beatrix, putting up with bows and picture taking. "You have never been properly welcomed and given holiday greetings until you have been welcomed by a quartet of Labs. Retrievers to the core they will greet you with something in the mouth- a boot, mitten, child's toy, anything that is in reach and retrievable." Jo Northrup
~"Christmas! Tis the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial fire of charity in the heart." Washington Irving

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What warm, lovely photos. Thank you for sharing your Christmas treasures with us. Have a wonderful weekend.

LindaSue said...

You make Christmas decorations so much more interesting with your stories about when and how they were made. Thank you! The cookies are shameful - I'm sitting here stuffed with bacon and eggs thinking "I have lots of butter in the fridge - could make cookies this afternoon so easily"! aargh - Christmas is my second favorite spiritual season (resurrection being my favorite) but my first favorite food season!

Connie said...

You better be good--Santa Claus is watching you! HA HA! His eyes look like they would follow you all around the room. I'm enjoying hearing about all of your Christmas traditions, Kathy. Have a great weekend! :D

Candy Duell said...

Oh your Santa looks wonderful. I also want to thank you for sharing your Christmas stories with us. My sugar cookie dough is in the fridge for the 3 hours, or more it has to wait. BUT, my daughter and I are having a grandchild day next Wednesday , I have tons of cookie cutters, and have not used them much over the years. But will be using them next week :)

Lanny said...

You have a mighty cozy home dear friend!

Anonymous said...

That dog needs to be on a Christmas card! So, so cute. Love all the decorations too!

Anonymous said...

Oh I truly enjoyed reading about your Christmas cookies and the wonderful Santa! Your dog looks absolutely adorable!

Unknown said...

My german short hair pointer does the same thing, he constantly prances around with something in his mouth when company comes.

A. Joy said...

Ummmm... why are there only 2 cookies on the plate???