"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Monday, December 8, 2008

Sometimes It's About the Dogs!

~Mildred , another blogging friend asked if we had picked up any special ornaments from a shop we enjoyed on our trip to Depoe Bay and here's the answer. Yes Mildred, we found 3 ornaments we just had to bring home from Sleighbells, near Lincoln City.Here is one of them. This is a Jack Russell terrier ornament that seems to have been made for our youngest son and his wife who have 2 Jack Russells, Shotgun and Ruger by name. Shotgun and Ruger go everywhere with them and we hope they appreciate this ornament. (Shhhhhhhh, don't tell them about it though, it's wrapped up for them to open on Christmas ) ~Here are the real live Christmas dogs, our puppies. 4 of our grandchildren dropped in this week while I was finishing up items to sell at the bazaar. Good thing I had sugar cookies to eat and red puppies to play with. Puppies and cookies at Grandmas.....how much better could it get? Here #1 Grandson is petting the pups.
~#2 Granddaughter seems to have this puppy's complete attention.~
~The puppies are way more excited by kids than the kids are by puppies.~
~Before long, the puppies were worn out from all the excitement and began seeking refuge under #1Grandson, and snuggling themselves as close to him as they could get. That was the cue to put them back in their pen for puppy naps.~ ~Another picture of Beatrix , and beside her is Hawk, the Vizsla.They are decked out with Christmas ribbons , but not appreciative at all of their apparel.Hawk is the father of the puppies, Beatrix is the half sister of the puppies. See the resemblance between these two and the pups ?
~Christmas Goodies for the Dogs~
~2 eggs, beaten ~1/4 cup honey ~2 cups water ~1/2 cup oil ~1 cup powdered milk ~1 cup white flour ~4 cups graham flour, or white and wheat ~2 teaspoons garlic powder `Mix together, roll 1/2 inch thick. Cut using bone shaped cookie cutter. Sprinkle with garlic powder. Bake on lightly greased sheet 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a perfect ornament for your son and his wife. I can't believe how your puppies have grown. I know the grandchildren have such fun with the pups. Love the dogs in their Christmas attire too - don't you know they think WE are silly for the things we do to them?!!!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

The puppies and the children are adorable! Can't wait to make Sophie some cookies! Thanks for sharing the recipe. blessings, Kathleen

LindaSue said...

Absolute sheer torture that's what it is looking at those adorable puppies and kids! Makes even a moderately sane (I won't claim full sanity - doesn't coordinate with keeping goats!) want to making oohing and aahing noises and pinch little cute puppy hineys and beautiful children's cheeks. Whew - got that out of my system - good post - love the dogs and kids and nifty ornament of the terrier - is theirs the Jack Russell or the longer legged Parson's Russell terrier? (lots of hunting dogs in this area!)

KathyB. said...

Mildred, that is the problem with puppies AND children, they grow so quickly. As for the attire, my Labs wear packs sometimes for practical reasons, but ribbons and bows are as dressed up as they get. Well, sometimes I put a jingle bell around their necks!

Kathleen, I also use bacon drippings in the dog biscuit recipe in place of oil. The dogs like that even better.

Linda Sue,our son and his wife's dogs are Jack Russells, but Ruger IS longer legged with tufts of fur, and he was a rescue dog...so maybe he is the longer legged Parson's terrier. He is also pretty laid back compared to the average Jack Russell.

Anonymous said...

I've made those dog treats of yours--found them in the family cookbook! I totally grossed out my hubby by trying one myself. :-) (I don't think he knew they were made out of PERFECTLY normal ingredients.) I figured, if I'm going to feed them to the dogs, I might as well know if they're any GOOD! ;-p

LindaSue said...

Kathy - I have never heard the terms laid back and jack russell in the same sentence! LOL - wonderful animals - so smart and with that nifty terrier attitude. sigh - the puppies and grandchildren still give me the grins - I just grin when I see those cute faces.

Anonymous said...

Those puppies are sure getting a lot of love. The kids are so lucky to have them around and vice versa! Love the ornament too!

KathyB. said...

Megan, Uncle Hubby and I got a laugh at you eating the dog biscuits with a horrified husband looking on !

Linda Sue, I have been surprised too at how well behaved and easy to be around Ruger, the JR Terrier is. But son and his wife live on a lot of property, have horses and our 4 granddaughters and other son live there, so Ruger has a lot of activity to be involved in and he goes everywhere with them....but then again, Shotgun does too and he's still your typical JR. Oh well, there are exceptions to everything.

Noble Pig, the Christmas store I purchased the ornament from is in your new back yard ! I LOVE that store and after viewing your Halloween decoration collection, I KNOW you will love that store !

Connie said...

Puppies and cookies at Grandma's---it DOESN'T get any better than that! :D

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Adorable puppies! Our dogs are getting so old; Shaddie, the Ridge will be 13 in Feb...o my! Gracie, the Australian Shepherd x Corgie is, probably older as is Abigail, the rough coat Jack. Our FFA is having photos w/Santa on Sat, i'm thinking I'll take my dogs and have a family photo made.
Thanks for the biscuit recipe; can't have enough of those.