"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Oslo Kringle..Christmas Recipe

~I made this Santa Clause sugar and creamer the first year Hubby and I were married. I don't think I appreciated them until recently. Somehow, after using them every December for 35 years, they have become familiar friends I welcome with kind feelings as I bring them out of the pantry for their annual appearance. ~Anyway, I am posting a recipe I originally got from our dear friend Kathleen Roland, about 20 years ago. She brought our family a lovely dessert that I was soooo impressed with. Kathleen is very talented in presentation of food and her home. As I was oohhing and ahhing she told me it was really a very easy dessert. She gave me the recipe and I have been making it often, at all times of the year since. This IS easy, and I frequently make it when we have drop in company . I will whip this up while we visit, and serve it warm with coffee or tea and conversation. So..here is the recipe!
~You will need 1 Cup of water, 1 cube of butter, 1 cup of flour and 3 eggs! Click on the recipe below to enlarge.
~Bring the butter and water to a boil and boil til butter is melted.~
~Add the flour and stir til the batter slips the pan.~
~Add the eggs, one at a time until well mixed.~
~Drop the batter on an un-greased or parchment covered bake sheet, into a wreath shape.~
~Bake at 425 degrees for about 40 minutes.~
~Mix 1 cup of confectioner's sugar with almond or vanilla extract and milk, or water to make a thick icing. I ice the kringle all over while it is still warm and then sprinkle colored sprinkles or finely chopped nuts. You can color the icing, embellish with sprigs of holly or fir, or decorate according to your taste. This is an easy treat for just about any occasion. It is basically a cream puff recipe served in a ring. It is the very best when eaten right away. This is a recipe that I never have leftovers of. It really is that easy and that good. ~To serve to those you love who are extremely lactose intolerant, and we have a passel of people in our lives who suffer thusly, we just substitute Nucoa for butter and use water in the icing. This is also good for our diabetic relatives because it is tasty without the icing, or being very , very stingy with the icing. The ring itself does not contain any sugar. ~"Do not be afraid Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and you will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High." Luke 1:30,31

13 comments:

Candy Duell said...

Oh this looks delicious. I have company coming tonight for dinner, maybe I can give it a try. Also to answer your question about the pictures on my blog.

The title was the icequeen, it was beautiful. IF my flash had worked, I would of gotten really nice pictures of it. Thank you for the nice compliment.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recipe and I love the Creamer & Sugar - I know there are many memories attached to them.

Pamela said...

I am most definitely NOT a cook--never have been and never will be. I'm hopeless and helpless in the kitchen.

However! I think even *I* can make that pastry. Going to give it a try this weekend. Seems to be just what we need to go with our Saturday night coco in front of the fire. Thanks!

Pamela said...

Uh, posted too quickly. Could you elaborate on a "cube" of butter? It looks to be about a half a stick?

(Can you see now why I'm so hopeless in the kitchen LOL!)

Gooseshooter said...

MMMMM! I've enjoyed a few of those in my day!

LindaSue said...

Sound fabulous! I might try that for my brother and sister in law coming tonight for two days - would be a perfect over the top sweet for breakfast.

Connie said...

The creamer and sugar are so cute!! What a wonderful treasure they are. The recipe sounds yummy! Thank you for sharing it. :)

A. Joy said...

I too always love seeing the Santa creamer and sugar bowl come out since they've been around for longer than I can remember. For some reason though I didn't know you'd made them! Huh, learn something new every day!

Jo said...

Omigosh, that looks wonderful. I have the munchkins coming to stay with me on December 13th weekend. Guess what I am going to make! And I will let them decorate it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

... I always get hungry when I visit your blog. *heh, heh*

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I must try this. I know my family will love it..m.

Lanny said...

So were you about to be left with just a bunch of mas?

Paula said...

Mmmm that sounds wonderful!! And easy too!! (right up my alley!)

Anonymous said...

Oh you have me here, it sounds like I have to make this, how perfect and easy for christmas morning when the kids are running wild! Thank you.