"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Friday, January 16, 2009

There Be Dragons, Really!

~The dragon boat, or Viking ship above was crafted by me , and after many years I finally finished it and gave it to my Hubby for his birthday...several years after I began it. The dragon boat is a wall hanging , double cross stitched with wool yarn, and also very representative of our family history. My Hubby is very good at researching and studying whatever interests him and Bible and genealogy are two of many passions he researches. The reason I bring this up is because I too love to read and maybe not study as intellectually as my Hubby and friend Lanny, but study I do. Dragons are a very interesting topic I do believe. And I DO BELIEVE in dragons! ~Actually, in Hubby's genealogical research he came upon documents from England that told of a troublesome dragon that was seen by MANY witnesses at different times as it flew ( yes, flew!) over the village and took and devoured quite a bit of hefty livestock in the area until a group of men went out to seek and destroy the troublesome beast. The dragon left for parts unknown after that! ( no one said dragons were stupid ) ~I often read several books at a time, along with the Bible. Besides reading several books, I also tend my flocks and dogs and have also been working on my wool fleeces and spinning, and weaving, and locker hooking...O.K. , now I am tired.Anyway, I usually take a break around 2:00 in the afternoon and treat myself to reading time. I am reading the latest book in the Cottage Tales by Susan Wittig Albert. The book is The Tale Of Briar Bank and it is as delightful as the previous 4 books in the series. Beatrix Potter is the main character. The stories are perfect for curling up with a cat on the sofa, with a cup of tea at your side and a fire to warm you as you read. You really should check out this series. Anyway, this book has a dragon in it...and of course, my ADD ( O.K. I am not ADD, just interested in lots of things all the time) brain rambles and thinks and gets excited all at once about so many different ideas converging and threatening to break out and spill all over... ~Because I am not ready to write a whole lot about dragons right now, I just want you to think about the book of Job in the Bible....I firmly believe the book of Job is describing a dragon, and until the 1900's it did not occur to people that there were NOT dragons.... ~about Leviathon..."If you lay a hand on him you will remember the struggle and never do it again! Any hope of subduing him is false ; the mere sight of him is overpowering;....Who dares open the doors of his mouth, ringed about with his fearsome teeth?His back has rows of shields tightly sealed together, each is so close to the next that air cannot pass between, they are joined fast to one another; they cling to one another and cannot be parted. His snorting throws out flashes of light; his eyes are like the rays of dawn, firebrands stream from his mouth; sparks of fire shoot out, smoke pours from his nostrils as from a boiling pot over a fire of reeds. His breath sets coals ablaze, and flames dart from his mouth. Strength resides in his neck; dismay goes before him. The folds of his flesh are tightly joined; they are firm and immovable....when he rises up, the mighty are terrified; they retreat before his thrashing; the sword that reaches him has no effect, nor does the spear or the dart or the javelin. Iron he treats like straw and bronze like rotten wood. Arrows do not make him flee; slingstones are like chaff to him...nothing on earth is his equal--a creature without fear." Job 41:8-33 So, doesn't that sound like a dragon to you? ~Blessings: good books, reading time, snuggling and purring cats

8 comments:

Paula said...

I always love to hear what you're reading and studying, Kathy!! And yes, that passage does sound like a dragon!
I would love to see some more of your spinning and what you're making with your wool!!

Anonymous said...

How fun!

Jennifer said...

I love the wall hanging, very nice! Who knows what is possible, according to scientists there was reptiles during the time of the dinosaurs that could fly; pterosaurs. People really don't know all the things that are possible, in history or today. Very interesting to think about though!

KathyB. said...

Farm Chick Paula, Thank-you. I will post some of my weaving soon, I am almost finished with another weaving project.

Amy, I am having fun .

Shiloh Prairie Farms, Yes, I think a lot of history's dragons are now dinosaur bones, but as dragons / dinosaurs were reptiles, there is the chance the historical records and stories of quests to kill dragons were true ,though exaggerated.

LindaSue said...

Oh my Kathy - reading the comments - you don't mean it is possible men LIED about their hunting exploits? Nawwww couldn't happen maybe some men here in the south tell tall tales about fishing but not the historical hunting stories - fun concept anyway
I also greatly admire the wall hanging and we've kind of wondered about the leviathan - doesn't sound like a whale does it?

Anonymous said...

It does sound like a dragon passage! My boys definitely believe in dragons and they love reading about them. It sounds like you are keeping yourself very busy!

Connie said...

Beautiful wall hanging, Kathy! That must have taken a great deal of time to do. Well worth of it. That passage you quoted certainly sounded like a dragon to me too!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Absolutely dragons exist, or, at least did exist. We've probably hunted them into extinction by now. Just like unicorns, they are mentioned in the Bible.
I've read those same books and enjoyed the greatly.
Beautiful wall hanging!