"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Lo, How A Rose E'er Blooming....

~There is snow on the dove cote, snow on the trees, snow on the ground...and more snow predicted ! We might have snow for Christmas ! I love snow ,especially when I know my pantry is full and I have plenty of coffee and firewood, and ..oh yeah, plenty of food . If we have the luxury of being able to stay home, why even better. ~Ducks on ice. Sounds like a gourmet dish, or even an entertainment extravaganza, but no...we really have ducks on ice. I probably should not have laughed, but the other day when I released the ducks from their over night pen the little Call ducks flew into the air, circled the house and glided for their typical landing IN the pond. Ooops! They hit the ice and skidded to the other side of the pond. It was hilarious...see, I think Ducks on Ice could actually be an entertainment extravaganza.
~And here, snug against the wood shed is a rose that was blooming amidst the snow and ice! This song sprang to mind has not left my brain since.~
~Lo How A Rose E'er Blooming~
"Lo, how a rose e'er blooming, from tender stem hath sprung!
From Jesse's lineage coming, as men of old have sung." first two lines of 16th century German Christmas Carol

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy, I think you would have a hit with "Ducks on Ice!" I bet that was funny to watch. The bright red rose in the snow is truly beautiful. Have a good day.

LindaSue said...

The rose with snow is truly beautiful - and the ducks on ice only requires a sound track and you'll be the hit of You Tube! Our barn cat likes to walk on the ice on the tiny pond next to our house. It doesn't always freeze evenly so he has learned to test each step.

Flower said...

Love the rose with snow blanketing it! Do ducks get cold? Chickens do. Hmmmm
We find ourselves filling buckets with warm water and running them out to the animal crew! These are fun days to watch what happens!!
Do your dogs just go nuts in the snow? We have one wild dog right now!! :)

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Oh, Kathy, you had me laughing with the Ducks on Ice. They are so pretty. Blessings, Kathleen

Lanny said...

Do you remember Disney on Sunday night? Every once in a while they would have the nature show, the narrator would say what he thought the animals were saying, kind of like Milo and Otis?

My favorite one was the ducks sliding across the frozen pond, they even had screeching tires and car crash noises. Anyway it left a definite mark in my brain.

Some day when I have Alzheimer's I won't remember my dear children, possibly not even dear Dirt, but I will remember those nature shows!

Anonymous said...

Oh i would have loved to see that. I bet they were shocked to say the least. Oh to know what they were thinking.

Country Girl said...

Wow! I've just read all about your storm and was blown away. So glad you're all safe and sound. How utterly scary!

KathyB. said...

Mildred, ducks are almost always comical, but this was funnier than usual....

Linda Sue, thank-you, what are the roses thinking , to be blooming in December anyway? I would like to see a cat on ice. My cats avoid the pond's edge, so my cats walking on the iced pond is not going to happen.

Flower, the ducks seem to do fine in the cold, I think the oil in their feathers repels the water and helps keep them warm. And boy oh boy, I am filling a lot of buckets with warm water for the animals.The dogs seem normal with the snow, but the puppies....

Kathleen, laughing is good! I agree with Lanny, a soundtrack goes off in my mind as I watch them frantically skidding and trying to stop with no avail!

Lanny, I do remember those Nature shows, and I remember the duck scenes, etc,.you just know some of those Disney cartoonists are drawing from real observations!

Noble Pig, you remember Scooby Doo as he was always trying to 'put on the brakes' as he skidded into one disaster after another, well, that was the ducks! I have had that same reaction from dogs once in awhile too....I can always find entertainment around here.

Country Girl, it was scary , and should we get another storm like that, I would be scared all over again, but I really KNOW things will work out, and the fear of what the future may bring was a waste of time and energy and my health.

Connie said...

I can just imagine the look of surprise on the ducks' faces when they hit that ice! HA HA HA!
You have a rose blooming this late? Wow! Very pretty! :-)

Paula said...

I wish I could have seen the "Ducks on Ice"- I'll bet that was some kinda show!!