"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Monday, April 20, 2009

Ducklings Move Out

~Planter on front porch (above)~
~My Hubby has been gone for a week. He spent his birthday and Easter away, fortunately he was able to be with our sons and their families and they had a great time together..but now he is home! Just in time for beautiful weather and lots of work!We both did a lot of gardening and spring cleaning outside. Hubby worked in his vegetable garden, getting the raised beds ready for planting, transplanting his many Hostas, and he cleaned out the shed I need to rear my ducklings and chicks in! He saved my back, but I think he might have hurt his.....
~Hawk is giving me the 'look', the look that says there is something behind these doors he is especially interested in and won't I please open the door and let him inspect?
~"Please? I can smell it from under the crack. I can hear peeping!"~
~"See! I knew there was something in here I would love. They look scrumptious!"~
~After 3 days in the bathroom , no amount of cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, can keep the smell of wet bedding and duck food from permeating the near by surroundings. So after my dear Hubby cleaned out and prepared the brooding shed for me I was able to move the little cuties outside, into a shed that had fresh shavings and heat lamps and room to move about and splish water and eat all they desire without stinking up the entire house. Until they are a little bit bigger they will reside in a kiddie swimming pool...still plenty big for them
~Ducklings are so cute. And they don't quack! They "peep"!~
~Although Hubby and I did a lot of work around our place this weekend, the weather was warm and sunny and we also had many moments to sit on the porch and watch the birds and enjoy just being together!~

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good weekend. Hawk is so cute giving you the look! And the photo of the ducks would be precious framed - looks like an old fashioned postcard! I hope Jim's back feels better soon. Have a lovely week.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Such darling ducklings! Glad you had a productive time and glad Jim is home...both are precious.

Lanny said...

Did you get the Dutch Hook bills? I see you have your Magpies back. We have sent some eggs off to Cindy for hatching. I need to invest in a really good incubator I think I could keep it going all the time with Bet's stuff, Stephie's stuff, Rebecca, Michelle now too....

noble pig said...

Oh no not the back! I hope he feels better soon.

And those ducks are so cute.

KathyB. said...

Mildred, I think Jim's back is a little better,thank-you.

Thistle Cove Farm, It is a very good thing Jim is home...and he got a lot done , especially in his vegetable garden!@

Lanny, yes, we did get the little Dutch Hookbills! If you get your incubator going I might need to avail myself of your incubating services!

Noble Pig, a hurting back is no fun, for sure.

Anonymous said...

Ducklings are definitely stinky and messy :) good thing they are cute! It looks like they have a great new setup. Hawk is hilarious!

KathyB. said...

Kenleigh Acres, I know you are familiar with ducklings....you have a good mama duck to care for yours! And the pictures of your son with the ducklings is precious, and cute!

Jennifer said...

Hawk is so cute and her thinking the ducks looked scrumptious made me laugh. I don't know why, I guess it was the word scrumptious because I bet that is just what she was thinking. Great post! The ducks are so cute, and I didn't know that baby ducks don't quack but peep instead, interesting!

KathyB. said...

Jennifer, I too love the word 'scrumptious'....baby ducks are pretty interesting and funny. It is much easier though if there is a mama duck to take care of them!

Connie said...

Aw..the ducklings are so sweet! Hawk looks a little TOO interested in them to me. HA! :D