"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Spring is in the Air, Snow is on the Ground!

~The hummingbirds are back, and boy howdy are they back! I have 3 hummingbird feeders and all three have male hummingbirds buzzing each other in threatening hummingbird manner, claiming feeders as their own personal pantry. One bright red little guy has taken to perching on the feeder when not eating or dive bombing other hummers. Aren't they beautiful little feathered jewels?
~Goth is peeking over the fence, just checking out this year's lamb crop...all are his sons and daughters.
~Aren't they cute? You should see them jumping and leaping and playing with one another.
~I think the mole family has expanded because they now have huge mole mountains and way too many tunnels and holes all over our property. AHHHHHHHHHHHH!
~My doves all seem to have paired off and my dove pens are filled with egg filled dove nests in and on every possible surface and crevice they can manage to keep a nest from falling. They are even laying and hatching eggs in their feeders, like the dove above.
~Here is an almost grown dove ( above ), ready to start leaving the nest... and as soon as he is out of the nest it will be claimed by another pair of doves , if he isn't pushed out of the nest by them before he is ready. The doves are pretty aggressive about nesting!.
~But the bees are confused...we are still feeding them sugar water because this weekend we had 3 inches of snow.....and today woke up to snow again! Is nature playing an April Fool's day prank on us?
~Welcome Spring, whenever you come!~ "He causes the grass to grow for the cattle, and vegetation for the labor of man, So that he may bring forth food from the earth and wine which makes the heart glad, So that he may make his face glisten with oil, And food which sustains man's heart.....They all wait for Thee, to give them their food in due season. Thou dost give it to them, they gather it up; Thou dost open Thy hand, they are satisfied with good." Psalm 104 : 14, 15,27, 28

8 comments:

Lanny said...

Okay, okay, I'm sorry for begging for snow! Hummers are humming here too.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

What JOY the hummers bring each spring; I love feeding the birds, all of 'em. Your doves are so peaceably beautiful and I think I'll find someone to put a bee box on the farm this year. Daddy has kept bees for most of his life and I've always helped him but never had them myself.

Anonymous said...

I have my feeders out, but no sign of hummers here yet. I love the little lambs and the doves are so pretty. That's a lovely pic of your flowers too! Now, if you could just wave a wand and make those moles go away!

Anonymous said...

Our daffodils have started blooming and glad there is no snow here!

KathyB. said...

Lanny, you were begging for snow?More than we have had already ? Well, a snowy day is good for staying indoors and getting other stuff done...like completely re-organizing and cleaning your place!

Thistle Cove,You should get a bee box at your place, then you will truly have a paradise on earth just flowing with milk and honey!

Mildred, I think we get a lot of the hummers early because of the mountains...I know according to the books they head for the mountain flowers later in the summer....but they tend to stick around here until frost. I am surprised with the Georgia blossoms out in full splendor that you do not have them yet.

Amy, my daffodils have buds now! Maybe they will bloom for Easter.

Connie said...

I love to watch the hummingbirds. :)

Goth peeking over the fence---that just made me smile. He seems to have such a personality--one minute forbidding and menacing, the next curious or playful.

Paula said...

I love seeing all your pictures Kathy! Wow- I can't believe your Hummingbirds are that plentiful already! I haven't seen the first one around here yet... maybe in a couple more weeks..( I hope!)
Love the picture of Goth peeking over the fence, too!

noble pig said...

Wow, it is Springy over there. New babies everywhere! So cute.