"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Some Reminders

~I received a forward I actually appreciated and found encouraging the other day . It was from the mother of our daughter-in-law, Breezy. I thought I would share some of the wisdom contained within it for your blessing. It is a list of suggestions to help remind us we do not need to worry, and there are things we can to do to keep life and our responsibilities in perspective.
  1. Pray ( that should go without saying)
  2. Go to bed on time ( what is "on time"?)
  3. Get up on time so you can start the day unrushed
  4. Here's the biggy for me, Say NO to projects that won't fit into your time schedule , or will compromise your mental health ( or proper priorities)
  5. Delegate tasks to capable others ( I need to find some of those 'others')
  6. Simplify and unclutter your life. (I am trying, I am trying!)
7. Less is more ( Although one is often not enough, two are often too many ) 8.Allow extra time to get things done and get to places. 9. Pace yourself. Spread out big changes and difficult projects over time;don't lump the hard things all together. 10. Take one day at a time. 11. Separate worries from concerns. If a situation is a concern, find out what God would have you do and let go of the anxiety. If you can't do anything about the situation, leave it in God's hands. 12. LIVE WITHIN YOUR BUDGET; DON'T USE CREDIT CARDS FOR ORDINARY PURCHASES 13. K.M.S. ( Keep Mouth Shut) This single piece of advice can prevent an enormous amount of trouble. 14. Carry a Bible with you to read while waiting in line. 15. Get enough rest. 16. Get organized so everything has it's place. 17. Every day find time to be alone. and I think this goes with the next.... 18. Having problems? Talk to God on the spot. 19. Make friends with Godly people. 20. Develop a forgiving attitude. 21. Be kind to unkind people ( they probably need it the most) 22. Sit on your pride. 23. Talk less, listen more. 24. Slow down. 25. REMIND YOURSELF YOU ARE NOT THE GENERAL MANAGER OF THE UNIVERSE! 26. Every night , think of at least one thing you are grateful for and thank God for it!
These are all pretty good suggestions and general enough I can find applicable to every area of my life in accordance to what scripture teaches me ..."Moreover, man does not know his time..." and "The words of the wise heard in quietness are better than weapons of war..." Ecclesiastes 9: 12, 17

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great list! I giggled a little at "you are not GM of the universe!" Sometimes when I am aggravated with someone I say, "If I ruled the universe......."

Candy Duell said...

A wonderful list, and one I will try very hard to start going by!

LindaSue said...

DH has a bible program on his PDA (which he carries in his wallet) so when we have to wait he can pull it out and read. Nothing like speaking scripture into a situation to make it better! Good list - priorities seem to be the hardest for me - I often tend to get distracted by something else even if the something else isn't all that important. Thanks for good reminders - A note from my prayer board -"A spiritual battle fought with spiritual weapons will produce eternal victory" not sure why I added that but it seemed to be right. BTW - I never want to be GM of universe - I have enough challenge managing myself -

Mary Humphrey said...

Isn't it great how statements and scripture can touch our lives? I am battling one tough decision, one that does not bring a lot of positive thoughts into my life. I should make the decision now to change all of that. I was listening to a Christian broadcast yesterday that spoke of taking the time to go slower in life, to not rush, it really hit home with me. We are all a work in progress...and I am glad we can share right here.

A. Joy said...

Good list! I agree with every single one of those - in reference to #14 - remember Darrell from the care center? Used to carry his Bible and toothbrush in his shirt pocket everywhere he went.

Connie said...

Great list of reminders, Kathy. I need to work on a lot of these. I am definitely a "work in progress" and in need of improvement. :D

Southern Comfort said...

There is much, much wisdom in the advice given here. I love this list and wish I were wise enough and strong enough to put it into action. I am working on it!

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

A wonderful and wise list! Thanks for sharing! Have a blessed Easter! blessings,Kathleen

KathyB. said...

Mildred, it is funny when you think about it, isn't it?Ranting and raving about how things should go according to MY plan, you know, as GM of the Universe! I could hardly imagine the messes I could make if that were my job....

Candy, thank-you.

LindaSue,I like that line " I have enough challenge managing myself" . Ditto!

Mary, I can stay home 24/7 and be in a rush the whole time. So many things I want to do, can do, but SHOULD i do? Priorites..and for me that takes time and thought about what to eliminate....

A.Joy, I do remember Darrel. And although many would call him slow, or retarded. he knew the profitable way to spend his time...he talked about Jesus to anyone and everyone.And you never know when your toothbrush might come in handy!

Daisy, aren't we all! At least I hope i am a work in PROGRESS. There are some who might think re-gress!

Southern Comfort, me too!

Kathleen,thank-you. Blesses Easter to you!

Paula said...

That's a pretty good (and thorough) list to go by!! Thanks for posting it, Kathy- we would all do better to live by those!