"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Chicken and Biscuit Weather

~Do you see him? Hiding in the grass, behind a few tiny branches?~
~There he is, the Mallard Duck that hangs out on the other side of our pond. There used to be two ducks, him and his mate. Then..just him! But I do not think he is alone. I think, actually, am pretty sure, his mate is sitting on her clutch of eggs. I think she is on the island in the middle of our pond. I check every day to see what is going on around the pond. ~Today was a chilly and rainy day..a Chicken and Biscuit for dinner kind of day!
~CHICKEN and BISCUITS~ This is just plain comfort food. I got the recipe from my daughter A.Joy When her children know this is what they are having for dinner, they get pretty excited. I agree with them, this is good eating, especially on those days you want a meal that goes down easy because it tastes sooooooooooo good!
Ingredients:
  1. Chicken-about 2 breasts or 4-5 thighs cut into bite size pieces
  2. 1/3 cup butter or margarine
  3. 1/4 cup flour
  4. 3 cups chicken broth
  5. about 1 Tablespoon chopped thyme
  6. 7 to 9 large baking powder biscuits
After chicken pieces are cut up, fry in large Dutch oven style pan with thyme. When chicken is cooked through, remove from pan and set aside.Melt butter in same pan and add flour. Stir until thickened into a roux. Slowly pour in chicken broth, stirring constantly. After roux has dissolved into the broth, add chicken and thyme back into the pan. Let simmer on low while you make your biscuit dough. Cut out biscuits and place directly on top of chicken and broth. ( Biscuits may sink under broth, that's O.K.) If your pan can go into the oven to bake-let chicken and biscuits on medium heat for about 30 minutes. Then place in oven at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until biscuits are lightly brown. Remove from oven and EAT!!! (if your pan is not safe inside oven-pour chicken and broth into baking pan , place biscuits on top, then bake in oven for about 30 minutes or until biscuits are brown)
~Maybe the weather will warm up soon, but my favorite days are still those that call for an evening fire in the woodstove , hot coffee with dinner, and a warm blanket to sleep comfortably.Blessings to me, and I do not take them for granted!~

12 comments:

Candy Duell said...

I think I know what I am having for dinner tonight! It sounds wonderful Thanks for posting the recipe.

Karen said...

YUMMY! That sounds like my "Grandma's cooking"!
In our family that is a big compliment!

Paula said...

Oh my goodness, Kathy- this sounds delicious! I agree with Karen- this sounds like something my Grandmother would have made!
YUMMY!

Hope warm days are headed your way soon, but your description of chilly evenings spent with a good warm blanket and coffee sound wonderful, too!

Anonymous said...

It's nice sometimes to have a cool night and something warm and comforting to eat, a fire and a snuggly blanket. Thanks for the delicious recipe Kathy.

LindaSue said...

ah sounds wonderful - DH loves any derivation of chicken and dumplings - including pot pies. Sounds so very good - overcast and stormy today. Thanks for the great idea! BTW - nifty about the duck pair - hope the ducklings are appearing soon.

Jo said...

Okay, Kathy, every time I visit your blog, my stomach growls. There is always something enticing here.

So....

Guess what I am going to make for dinner tonight? Yes guess! :-) That looks wonnnnnderful.

noble pig said...

That sound delicious. I love a good biscuit and chicken recipe and with a little fresh herdbs..YUM!

Wobegon Cottage said...

Well it is rainng here today and a bit chilly. I was trying to work on my blog that I started (and use you and Autumn for inspiration) saw your recipe..Looks very good but the only thyme I have is lemon time and newly planted . Would that be a substitute for regular thyme or would the lemon be too strong? I have not used lemon thyme but it smelled good at the store so i bought a pack for the garden.

Mary said...

Working on a power nap myself with the cool breeze and light blanket.

Mr. Mallard is on nest watch, so it sounds.

Anonymous said...

Dinner was scrumptious - thank you! It was a very easy recipe and oh so yummy :)

Jennifer said...

The duck is beautiful! The chicken and biscuits look delicious, warm and tasty, my favorite kind of food. Thanks for the recipe!

Connie said...

Sounds delicious and very comforting. Just the thing on a cold or damp day.