"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Lake Lawrence Bazaar, Part II

~O.K. , it is not Christmas, but don't these ornaments just give you a teeny tiny burst of Christmas spirit ? Just a little bit of jingle bells and deck the halls ?~~They were handmade by this mother-daughter team(below). Megan Erickson and her Mother of ME Original. They can be contacted through meoriginal.etsy.com . I looked over their many creative and primitive country ornaments, signs and decorations several times. I also checked out Megan's blog and find she is a very creative mom and wife...I hope she and her mother do well with their handmade items, most definitely made with love !~ "Frugality without creativity is deprivation." Amy Dacyczyn
~Here we have the big attention getter ! When you walk into Lake Lawrence Hall, why, you are met with CHOCOLATE ! Lots of beautiful, scrumptious chocolate. I could see this booth from mine , and the chocolate booth was always busy. Why, the other vendors were constantly buzzing around the chocolate. Isn't this (below) a wondrous sight to encounter when you walk into a building ? ~Yes, this is Aunt Billie's chocolate. Aunt Billie was decked out in tinsel garlands, her hair was wreathed in garlands, and her chocolate sent out the tempting call..."Come hither, I am chocolate, you cannot resist me....." ~This is Terry Halverson, of Scent With Love. I got to sit next to her and inhale the lovely aroma of her soy candles. She too was a very popular booth. You have no idea how many people come by to sniff, sniff, and sniff some more...then after they have done the rounds of the bazaar will come back, sniff a few more times and after a last whiff, why..they buy ! I succumbed to the aroma of her soy candles, and am glad I did. Terry can be reached at scentwithlovecandles@hotmail.com ~ Oh, she and her husband and son were also very pleasant company , I had such a wonderful time with my neighbors at the bazaar !Plus, Terry is SO organized, I learned a thing or two just from watching her. ~This lady is inspirational ! She asked me how my wool fleece felted up. I did not know. I had fleece in batts and rovings for sale but have never felted my fleece in the manner she was asking about. I have done some needle felting ON my rugs, but never felted the fleece itself. Well, she purchased some yarn and fleece batts and I asked her to tell me how it turned out..... "Creative work is play. It is free speculation using materials of one's chosen form." Stephen Nachmanouitch ~Can you see from the above and below photographs how her felting turned out ? Her name is Debra Southern..and she went home and felted the wool and came back the next day and showed me the successful results ! Thank-you Debra...I will be felting my wool fleeces now to create even more exciting projects ! ~Here is my booth. I still need to figure out a few tricks for display of rugs, yarn , fleece, and other items I sell. I did have a good time. I learned a lot, visited with interesting people, made some money ( mucho importante, hay is greatly appreciated by my spotted sheep ) and bought a few things I just could not find anywhere else and some for Christmas gifts. Hey...it is good to get some early shopping done, dont'cha think ? ~And, I sold out of my little Nativity sheep. Got to make at least a hundred before the bazaar in December! "Creativity represents a miraculous coming together of the uninhibited energy of the child with it's apparent opposite and enemy, the sense of order imposed on the disciplined adult intelligence-" Norman Podhoretz
~More of Laurie's Handcrafted Baskets ~ " To think creatively, we must be able to look afresh at what we normally take for granted." George Knellen

8 comments:

Connie said...

Yummmm, chocolate! It calls to me more often than I should listen! HA HA! What a fun and wonderful place this bazaar was, Kathy. I'm glad to hear things went well for you there. It must have been fun to meet so many interesting artists and craftspeople.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy getting to see the many different crafts. Your booth looks great and I think your Nativity sheep are just precious. That is fascinating to see the felt. I look forward to seeing what creative crafts you come up with for the felt. The chocolate looks delicious. I saw a life-sized chocolate turkey yesterday in a candy shop window. Don't even want to think about how many calories that had! I look forward to clicking on the individuals you mentioned and seeing more of their lovely crafts. Looks like you made some wonderful new friends and it sounds like you will be busy crafting between now and the December show! Have a wonderful day!

Megan Erickson said...

It looks good .. thank you for adding us! We had a lot of fun and will probably be back next year! The picture is great but look closely at the red plate.. to bad we didn't realize it was spelled wrong until after the show! Oh well!!

A. Joy said...

I really like this post! Probably because it starts out with Christmas. =) I'm glad you showed your booth because I really wanted to see it - it looks great and I love all the little sheep in the last photo - that makes me laugh.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

What fun the whole bazaar looked like. I really liked your booth and your little sheep! so cute! blessings, Kathleen

Jo said...

Several years ago I lost all of my Christmas decorations. I was devastated. Someone actually stole into my basement and stole them. They all had special memories for me. So that year I went to all the Chrismtas bazaars and bought wonderful handmade decorations, and I just love them.

You make wonderful things. Those purses you made were the most beautiful things I have ever seen!

Psssst.... hand me a piece of that chocolate. Aunt Billie won't miss a small piece :-)

KathyB. said...

Daisy, yes, it is fun and interesting to meet different vendors and the stories about their craft and lives...well, being the busy body I am, I learn so much wonderful and inspirational stuff about them. I wish so many stories could be told..

Thank-you Mildred. I keep working on my booth. It is hard to display large rugs and saddlepads and still make room for myself to spin wool or locker hook, which I do during fairs and bazaars. Plus, I usually rent the smallest booth to save money, which means I need to be more creative with my displays.

Megan, wish I could have talked more to you and your Mom.Your display was wonderful, you are both so creative and the pictures I took could not possibly show the variety and quality of your crafts....I really need to buy one of those Santa decorations.

A. Joy, I know, it is a family characteristic, this love of almost all things Christmas..hmmm, who would you have gotten that from ?As foe the sheep, well, your oldest daughter helped me paint a lot of them, and a fine helper she is!

Kathleen, yes, it was fun, thank-you!

Jo, what a sad and happy story. To have your Christmas ornaments stolen, so many Christmas ornaments carry such sentimental memories....but what fun starting over with new ones, and at a bazaar where you can buy unique , one of a kind ornaments and begin new memories >

Mildred, A LIFE SIZE chocolate turkey ? Wow, I would like to see a picture of that !

Pamela said...

I have really enjoyed your bazaar posts. It was just like being there--well almost like being there since I couldn't smell the chocolate and candles.

Definitely going to be doing some Christmas "clicking" on the links you gave. And I still think those purses are gorgeous!