"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Spot on Family Veterans

~Our oldest son David Burnson, a U.S. Marine and veteran of two tours of war in Iraq.~~This is David with his tank crew(below) in Iraq. David is idealistic, in spite of the disrespect so many in our country show towards the country of their birth, and the people who put their lives on the line ( brace yourselves ) for true ideals of freedom, freedom of religion and speech, and love of country! David comes from a long line of men willing to lose their lives for our country and values they hold dear. David has lost friends and brothers in arms , as did my father and my husbands' father. Their sacrifice has not cost them their lives, as it did so many they fought along side, but it did cost them...in areas they will not talk about, nor will I write about. It cost them in ways that will affect the rest of their lives. David does NOT regret his service. My father did NOT regret his service, my father-in-law does NOT regret his service. I would not ever deem to disrespect them for this , and have a very hard time personally with the very popular expression of disdain and disrespect so commonly written and published by the media "elite"and youth who have never had to suffer hardship or severe consequences for expressing their opinions , nor had to live under a regime which would easily kill them for their brash words.
~This is my father-in-law(below). Our oldest son David is named after him. My father-in-law was 17 when he enlisted in the Navy. He fought at the end of WWII and was in the South Pacific and involved in the famous D-Day launch on the beaches in the Phillipines. This man has such a fair complexion, (the Norwegian blood) that the extreme exposure to the sun during his time at war has earned him a lot of time having skin cancer treated. He does not understand the opinions of so many who think there is no cost to the protection of peace and security in our country. "An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile, hoping it will eat him last." Winston Churchill
~Here is a picture of my family , minus my youngest sister who was not yet born. I am on the far left. My father was a soldier in the U.S. Army. He did 2 tours in Korea in the 50's and 2 tours of Vietnam. He was also someone who did a lot of reading and thinking....I am so sad when I think of how he and his brothers in arms were treated by America in the late 60's and 70's. To his dying day he knew Jane Fonda to be a traitor, and a few others I will not mention. But you know, Hollywood and their ilk are really all we should look up to, right ? We don't really need ideals that are worth risking life for do we ? "The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country." George Washington ~Here is my father, Lloyd L. Hartley, in Korea , May 1958. "For it has been said so truthfully that it is the soldier , not the reporter, who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier , not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the agitator, who has given us the freedom to protest. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, who gives that protester the freedom to abuse and burn that flag." Zell Miller (D) Georgia 2004 ~Another picture of my father in Korea, 1958. When my father came home from Vietnam in 1971 he was more likely to suffer abuse and disrespect from young fellow Americans than the enemy he fought in foreign wars. How sad is that? My generation, not like minded and never will be. I am still puzzled by the way so many Americans view our country, their country, as the reason for most other country's problems...yup, we should not be helping any other country out. Nope, we should not be shedding American blood for anyone else...wow, WE are responsible for the Japanese and German claim to world dominion and the resulting war ? Oh my....you would be surprised at the books and theories presented as truth to justify hatred of America. You would think we were the scourge of the world. Surprisingly, it is fellow Americans that hate us so much. "Never in the history of the world has any soldier sacrificed more for the freedom and liberty of total strangers than the American soldier." Zell Miller ~Here is a newspaper article about my Father. He is receiving the first oak-leaf cluster. My father received many medals and awards, but we did not know until he died because he was not one to talk about these things, or boast. He did not like to talk about death and war. I re-discovered in old photo albums many photographs of the people of the different countries he served in. He really liked and respected the different cultures, and was very able to appreciate differing views. He did NOT tolerate well the disrespect of your own family , culture and country. "Valor is stability, not of legs and arms, but of courage and the soul." Michel de Montaigne ~"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain Patriotic-"characterized by patriotism, influenced by love of native or adopted land, intended for public good." Funk and Wagnalls Standard Dictionary
God of Our Fathers
vs.3: From war's alarms, from deadly pestilence
Be Thy strong arm our ever sure defense; Thy true religion
in our hearts increase, Thy bounteous goodness nourish us in peace.
vs.4:Refresh Thy people on their toilsome way
Lead us from night to never-ending day; Fill all our lives with
love and grace divine, And glory, laud, and praise be ever Thine. by Daniel Roberts
~Thank-you to all of you who have served our country , and willingly risked your life for the ideals you hold dear. Thank-you to all of you who have helped make this a country where freedom has been valued. May we always realize what we have been blessed with, and may our people hold dear the values that built and founded this country. Thank-you God for allowing me to live in a country I am free to practice my faith openly and voice my opinion. Please, may it always be so! Thank-you Veterans!~

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderfully written tribute to your family members and all Veterans. I love seeing your family photographs. My maternal grandfather was killed in World War II. Both my dad and husband served and neither would discuss the heartache that they viewed first hand. Your post is a reminder of how many have given so much in order for us to enjoy the freedoms that we so often take for granted. Thank you Veterans.

Anonymous said...

I view your blog first thing every morning wondering what treat I will find . . . this morning I am blown away by your post. The pictures of dad remind me of how much I still miss him every day even though he has been gone for almost 16 years. Very well written sis!

Joni

LindaSue said...

I know it is the limited type of blogs I read daily - but it is so heartening to find like minded people. Proud of their family and the service given to our country. My strongest memories of childhood are my Dad in his uniform - going to "work" - and knowing that good man was what stood between the bad guys and my school (simplistic I know - but tese are memories from my very earliest years). Thank you for sharing so much of your family with us - brave men and the women who prayed for them - indeed God Bless America (we need it!)

Paula said...

Thanks for sharing pictures of your wonderful veterans, Kathy!! They are all heros to me!

Lanny said...

Kathy,
Thank you for sharing.

Flower said...

We do respect and love our service men! We recognize the sacrifice, appreciate them and share in their loss! It is good to speak openly and honestly with our families about these very special men because without them we wouldn't know freedom! God bless you today and everyday for your heart!!
The photos are hard to do...and you understand...I can tell from what you wrote. :)

A. Joy said...

Here Here!! I raise my glass ( ok, cup of coffee ) and toast to this. These are the things and people we want to always remember and make sure to share the memories with our children. May they realize and thank the Lord for allowing them to be born in such a blessed country - God has blessed America and so many are so ungrateful for that gift. Many people who dislike their own country do not have the freedom or ability to leave it - here in America if you dislike it so much ~ you're free to move.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful gifts of patriotism all these men have given. I am always amazed at the love of country these men had. And I thank them for their service.

Connie said...

Very well written and heartfelt tribute, Kathy. I enjoyed seeing your family photos too. :)

KathyB. said...

Thank-you Mildred. War impacts all of us, often the 'trickle down' effect has more consequences than we realize....was your mother young when her father was killed ?

Thank-you Joni, I miss Dad a lot too....

Linda Sue, I too remember my Dad getting dressed in his uniform to go to work, then the months and years he wasn't home, but overseas....we missed him, and from the letters he wrote home I know he dearly missed us. And yes, America does need God's protection and blessings...which we have so taken for granted!

Thank-you Farm Chick Paula and Lanny, Lanny, love your post about your Father and your precious memories !

Yes indeed Flower. I have avoided the old photo albums because so many of the pictures just break my heart !I need to remember the good times most photos did capture..

A.Joy, thank-you daughter ! I am so blessed to have grown children and their spouses who teach their own children and relatives good values and Godliness !

Noble Pig and Daisy, thank-you too for your comments and appreciation of our military veterans .

Jo said...

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." That puts me in mind of John Wayne. We see war pictures of him, and pictures of him in uniform, but he never went to war. While many of his colleagues rushed off to join the armed forces, John Wayne never did.

The Allies would have lost World War 2 without the help of the American armed forces!

What a beautiful tribute to your family!

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

I am just now reading this on July 4, 2009 and am marveling at your rich military heritage. I salute these members of your family who have so willingly served and who have quietly suffered the disdain of their ignorant countrymen. I will never disrespect the work of the American Soldier or the work of the founding fathers.
HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!
XOXO
Joni