"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Geraniums For The Porch

This geranium is a few years old and I have 3 or 4 more that are as old or older than it. The geraniums are wintered over in our sun room and get as big as bushes and threaten to take over the sun room unless I prune them severely. The geraniums like our sun room so much they bloom frequently throughout the fall, winter and early spring. "Geraniums are one of the most reliable plants in the home garden." U of R.I. Green Share Fact Sheet Today was rainy and our false spring weather has given way to the true winter it is and indoor endeavors were the order of the day. I needed to top dress my many years old African Violets. They are blooming, or budding again,but their woody stems are wobbling and threaten to leave their pots in search of better soil. So I gave them a generous top dressing of African Violet potting soil. Since I had all the messy planting necessities spread out on the table I decided to propagate new geranium plants. It is very, very easy and can save a fair bit of money for your late spring and summer porch flower plantings.The slips are potted and I will place them in the sun room until late spring when all danger of frost has passed. "Additional plants can be started from stem cuttings, or 'slips'. Remove cuttings, 3 to 4 inches in length,from the tip of the stems. Shorter cuttings can be taken if necessary. Strip off the lower leaves to facilitate sticking the cuttings in root medium....place cuttings 1 inch deep in planting medium ( perlite or perlite / sand, perlite / soil mix) and water thoroughly. Place container in a north or east window until rooted. Rooting occurs best with soil temps. of 72 to 75 degrees F. This generally takes 3 to 4 weeks. Water sparingly during this rooting period---the trick to successful rooting is to keep the cuttings fairly dry." Univ. of R.I. Fact Sheet I went ahead and planted my geraniums directly into the pots I will add to my flower baskets for our front porch, and if I am pleased with the plants they too will winter in our sun room with their parent plants.A plant family reunion!
Here is a picture of my porch in late spring with some of my old geraniums gracing the steps to the front door. "Every flower must grow through dirt." AU
Blessings: blooms inside while threat of snow reigns outside, faithful plants, geraniums and African Violets

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a perfect day for staying in and working with the potted plants. I have always loved geraniums in big pots on the porch and as a child I grew lots of African Violets. I recently gifted one to a girlfriend from childhood who retired from 30 years of public teaching and has taken a teaching position at my childhood church's school. The little violet looked so cheerful on her desk and the lavender color just matched her color scheme! Hope you enjoy your day Kathy.

Debbie said...

Now there is a flower that I get along with! I have some large houseplants and an asparagus fern and some ivys that I keep year round. But I have to go out each spring and get petunias, geraniums and a few others to dress up the porches and planters. Your place looks lovely and I really enjoy your photos and the information you include. Love your blog......

Shelley said...

That last photo looks like it should be on a card or in a magazine! Love your gardenin boots! You have made me want to try some geraniums for our deck this year.

Jennifer said...

Beautiful flowers and pictures! I would love to have a sun room for this very reason.

Anonymous said...

Lovely! It's going to be in the 50's here today!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

What a pretty porch picture! I love geraniums and you certainly have a green thumb! blessings,Kathleen

LindaSue said...

I am not a good keeper of houseplants - they grow but I eventually tire of their care and upkeep - your geraniums are such happy colors and beautifully displayed - the two houseplants in our house are a ficus I've tried to kill and an "iron" plant I try to keep from dying - both are fighting my will.

Anonymous said...

What's great about geraniums is their hardiness. I have always loved them.

Lanny said...

Oh Kathy, your geraniums are always so pretty. Some of mine have survived, one batch didn't survive my flu and lambing season coming at the same time (along with my onion starts) Tomorrow I am going to get the rest of the crew out of the garage and see how they did. Big garden day tomorrow.

KathyB. said...

Mildred,African Violets are one of those lovely little plants I take for granted, and then every so often the blooms catch my eye and I just have to stop and admire the delicate beauty ,which belies it's hardiness. I suspect it is a plant with character similar to yours.

Mrs. D, thank-you! Petunias and I don't get along either. Every year I give them a try, follow directions, and nope! Nada! But geraniums are such good plants...

Shellmo, thank-you! You will love geraniums for your deck! There are so many vibrant colors and they really are easy!

Jennifer, thank-you. I know a lot of people who winter geraniums on closed in porches and windows in garages. One of my friends has done this for years and she always has big flower pots of geraniums with lobelia decorating her place every year...from her garage kept geraniums.

Amy, the 50's..wow, our weather has reversed. It snowed here today.

Kathleen, my green thumb is usually brown and stained from all the gardening.Do you keep geraniums?

LindaSue, you are so funny! My Ficus are indestructible ,they too last forever around here..what is an Iron plant?

Noble Pig, I can picture your winery tasting room now, big and beautiful pots of vibrant geraniums at the entrance,with all the lush lobelias and trailing vines filling them in, surrounded by showcases of your wines....

Lanny, you are my gardening inspiration! You and my son-in-law, Birdy balaku! Thank-you.

Paula said...

The porch looks so pretty! The geraniums looks so wonderful spilling out of their containers like that!

Connie said...

I love the ending to this post, Kathy. "Every flower must grow through dirt." Fantastic! :D