"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Monday, March 2, 2009

Spot of Contentment

~Today was one of those Sundays I long for when life gets too hectic, and the problems of this world seem too much to bear. A quiet respite, and not a bad way to spend most days.... ~It rained outside and inside I had a fire in the wood stove and was settled on the sofa, working on a rug I am almost finished with while listening to an audio book. I looked into our picture window where darkness had settled outside, and the window appeared to be a mirror reflecting what was going on inside our home. I could see myself happily working on the rug while my Hubby was busy in the kitchen making us dinner. He LOVES to cook, so I know he was happy too. As I gazed at the reflection of this moment in our lives I realized how content I am with the life God has chosen to bless us with. I love my husband. I love the home he has built for me and I love the quiet times we are able to spend together. I quickly put the rug aside and grabbed my camera to take a picture of this moment in time.And now I share it with you. ~Here my Hubby is sharing a treat with his buddy Hawk. "Content: Rest and quietness of the mind under existing circumstances; present satisfaction; contentment." Funk & Wagnalls ~Hubby made this delicious dinner. Braised halibut steaks, fresh steamed asparagus with butter and Parmesan cheese, his own rice dish with vegetables, and Green Onion and Fontina Arancini, or rice balls with cheese in the middle, YUM! The recipe for these is in the 2/2009 issue of Sunset Magazine. "But godliness actually is a means of great gain, when accompanied by contentment. For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either. And if we have food and covering, with these we shall be content." I Timothy 6: 6-8 Blessings: rainy afternoons when we can stay home, Hubby cooking, contentment in the midst of trials

12 comments:

LindaSue said...

well YUM! Your kitchen is so warm and colorful - lovely red dog is a good accent too! Sounds like a perfect afternoon and it is a good thing to know when we are overwhelmingly, absolutely perfectly, God's covering us up with blessings --content.

Mary Humphrey said...

What a beautiful reflection of love and warmth.

Shelley said...

A wonderful and warm moment you have captured - I can see why you are so content! And your husband's presentation of his cooking on that dinner plate was beautiful!!

Jennifer said...

I love your beautiful kitchen, I would love to have so much cabinet and counter space. What a warm and nice post too!

Anonymous said...

Such a warm glimpse into a perfect evening of crafting and baking. Your home looks so welcoming and the dinner hubby prepared looks srumptious! May we see the rug you are working on soon??

Anonymous said...

I love those kind of days, our Sunday afternoons are often like that after church, lunch, and spending some time with good friend's at lunch and then home to rest then off to church again for Youth Group!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely day! Your kitchen is very warm and inviting and Hawk is such a lucky boy :)

Lanny said...

Hmmmmm nice, Amen.

Anonymous said...

Yep, sometimes we need to stop and look in the window and the reflections given to us. It's a bonus when the mirror image is exactly what we hope to see.

Karen said...

You have a beautiful home. It looks warm and inviting.
We had a picture window in the home where we grew up. I was just thinking how many wonderful memories I associate with that picture window.
Thanks for sharing and for your comments at Lily Valley.

Sandy said...

Kathy,
I love the scene you describe in this post. Your home is so lovely! I could really be content if my hubby could cook!

Connie said...

Lovely post, Kathy. Those moments when we can see everything so clearly that we mentally take a picture so that we don't forget how we feel right at that second are so wonderful.