"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Spot of Cookie Baking

~I am going to visit my sons and their families today! Four of my granddaughters live there and granddaughters love cookies. Especially Grandma's cookies.( The sons and daughter-in-law love cookies too)I baked a LOT of cookies today. Chocolate chip cookies, and oatmeal cookies. ~Here is the recipe for very, very, good chocolate chip cookies. In fact, my sons baked these for the fairs when they were in 4H and our oldest son won a grand champion ribbon for them, so I can call them........
PRIZE WINNING CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
  1. 2 cups brown sugar
  2. 2 cups sugar
  3. 1 pound of butter
  4. 4 eggs ( farm fresh is best )
  5. 2 tsp. vanilla ( real vanilla)
  6. 5 cups flour
  7. dash of salt
  8. 2 teaspoons baking soda
  9. 3 cups chocolate chips
  10. 3 cups walnuts ( because one granddaughter has allergy to peanuts I substituted MORE chocolate chips for nuts)
Cream together well butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix until well blended. Sift together dry ingredients and add to creamed ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. I sometimes add chunks of candy bars to this recipe.
BAKE 325 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes
~Of course I had to eat a few cookies, just to make sure they tasted O.K. Fresh coffee and good things to read are always nice with the cookies you have to taste. ( you know, to make sure they are really good) Blessings: rainy days to bake cookies, baking cookies, granddaughters

14 comments:

Lanny said...

I can smell them over here! I'm glad we can now bake something that is not green!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recipe. I am thrilled that you will get to visit with the girls and your sons and Breezy today. I hope you will share lots of pictures of your visit. I bet the girls have grown since Christmas.

LindaSue said...

You are just the kindest woman - forcing yourself to eat some of those cookies to make sure they are OK for your beautiful grandones. I tell you - Kathy never spares herself in sacrificing for others! LOL - I'm making myself laugh - I'm also salivating 'cause my morning coffee would be SOOOOO much tastier with some buttery goodness chocolatey cookies. Have fun - say hi to the recent birthday girl Breezy!

Shelley said...

Those cookies look heavenly!! Thank you for sharing that recipe!!!

Karen said...

Yummy! My favorite. We used to say that anything grandmother made was extra good just because it came from her kitchen! Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Yummy and I am sure you enjoyed your snack Kathy!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

These look SO delicious but I'd have a glass of milk with mine. -smile-s

Anonymous said...

h I can't wait to try this. I always try different CC recipes because there is never a bad one! Thank you.

Mary Humphrey said...

Now I am heading to feed with a smile on my face. So, how were those warm cookies, Kathy? How was your visit?

A. Joy said...

I've been wanting choc chip cookies lately but keep forgetting to pick up some Ghiradelli dark chocolate giant chocolate chips - and I always substitute extra choc chips in place of nuts. You enjoy watching ice skating tonight ( I'm sure it will be entertaining! ) and I'll enjoy watching our ice skating tonight!

A. Joy said...

Me again - I just noticed the title of the book you perfectly positioned next to your cookies on the table - blue and white and was wondering - have those been your favorite colors your entire life? My favorite colors have changed many times throughout my life.

Jennifer said...

Boy those look good! Thank you for the recipe!

KathyB. said...

Lanny, the house did smell delicious. So what is your family baking now? More of your delicious bread, fresh fruit pies....chicken or turkey pot pies? I am now hungry again.

Mildred, The granddaughters have grown and we had a nice, but too brief visit. And these are the best ever chocolate chip cookies.

LindaSue, I know. Somebody has to sacrifice time and taste buds and risk the extra weight gain to make sure the desserts and cookies are acceptable. Might as well be me....

Shellmo, These really are good cookies!

Karen , thank-you. I agree with you. My Grandmothers were both excellent cooks and they taught me a few recipes I use to this day. And fondly because my Grandmothers taught me these recipes in their own kitchens , just myself and Grandma. The hands on made the lessons very special. So I am trying to hand down recipes with love to my own grandchildren.

Amy, yes! Chocolate chip cookies fresh out of the oven with a cup of fresh coffee and a book to read, the best!

Thistle Cove Farm, the granddaughters too , enjoyed their cookies with milk. I taught them to dunk their cookies in milk too, they liked that.

Noble Pig, I sometimes think I should do a blog just on cookies. I think cc cookies alone can justify a blog! This recipe is my best and favorite cookie recipe and lends itself to varying the nuts and types of chocolate.

Mary, the cookies were delicious and the visit was best!And the girls did love the cookies!

A.Joy, I need to whip up a batch of lactose free C.C. cookies for you. And yes, blue and white have ALWAYS been my favorite colors. I have been attracted to other color combos and do appreciate all the colors..in jr. high orange was a favorite, but orange is the complementary color to blue and so there you have it. Blue, all colors of blue, are easy on my eyes, relaxing and the color just draws me in.

Jennifer, you must bake these cookies, they are so good! I make sure not to over bake them so they are still chewy.

Connie said...

I love that instead of nuts you added more chocolate chips. That sounds like something I would have done. :D