"It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." A.Holmes

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Interesting People I Like to Spend Time With !

~~~I started my 3rd morning at the fair early as usual. We try to get to the fair at least 2 hours before the gates are open to the public. Today I brought #1 grandson to help. He loves the fair and has been coming to the fair with me since he was born. Here we are cleaning out one of our 3 sheep pens. The Doo Doo bin is behind him, for tossing the yucky hay and straw and manure into. ~~~~~~The most interesting people stop by to gawk at Goth and my 4 and 5 horned sheep. They talk to me, ask a lot of questions, and I also talk to them and ask a lot of questions. Lately I have grown bold enough to ask them to pose for pictures. I always ask if I can post their pictures too, so all pictures were approved by the people shown below. ~~~The gentleman below is Mr. Vaughn Hickman. He MADE this most beautiful leather coat. It is made of elk hide....very , very soft elk hide that was softer than the most luxurious velvets. He also beaded the design. The beads are glass...~~~ ~~~LOOK at this art and craftmanship. The design is hand beaded all over with glass beads. The fringe has beads with horsehair and bison hair distributed throughout. ~~~
~~~Here is a close-up of the buttons, bison horn buttons ! ~~~
~~~This is the beaded pocket. Mr. Hickman also fully lined the coat and said it took more than 6 years for him to make...it is far more beautiful than my pictures can capture and really should be hanging behind glass. ~~~ ~~~This gentleman is also very interesting. He is an artist. A REAL artist. His name is Kenneth J. Hurley and he does Western and Wildlife art...beautiful. Real art ! And wouldn't you know, he is with ... ~~~The sister of a neighbor and friend of ours from our old neighborhood. So I get to talk to him and visit with our old ( not old as in age ) neighbor ! I have so much fun at the fair and get to see people I haven't seen for years and people I would never meet if I did not come to the fair ! ~~~ ~~~And there are our fair friends we see every year. We form a sort of bond. Here Is Deanne . She and John and Stormy her father have Zebras, a Zedonk, yaks, Watusi cattle and reindeer. I get to sit directly across from them for 5 days and watch the animals, and watch them feed the animals. I get to pet and touch and sometimes feed the animals myself. This is a true privilege people ! I am so grateful . And the people are nice besides. Always a bonus you know. ( and you know, Goth does have a crush on the reindeer)
~~~Here Deanne is letting a little friend of ours feed...~~~
~~~~This little guy, Chili, an African Watusi steer. ~~~
~~~And another little friend gets to bottle feed Chili too. ~~~
~~~I love the fair. It really is fun and maybe in my life, 'EPIC" fits the descriptive bill.~~~

6 comments:

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Hi Kathy, I just loved reading this post. The jacket the man made is just beautiful and gives me inspiration to start working on my blue jean jackets. I love to meet people also, I find them so interesting and love to hear about what they do. Have a wonderful weekend. blessings, Kathleen

Connie said...

Wow, that is an amazing leather coat---such beautiful details! I can't imagine how much work that must have involved.

LindaSue said...

I can't resist - do you recall the children's song "I went to the animal fair, The birds and the beasts were there;The big baboon by the light of the moon Was combing his auburn hair." you are really enjoying the spectrum of 2 and 4 legged critters - that elk skin coat is truly a work of love and art!

Jo said...

Aw, that looks like so much fun. One of these years I am going to do the Puyallup.

Your grandson is cute. He's about nine, right? Same age as my granddaughter.

The workmanship in that coat is extraordinary. I want one. :-)

Anonymous said...

Grandson #1 would like to thank you for allowing him to help out at the fair - it is the highlight of his whole year and this year was even better with friends staying there too. I'm sure we'll be hearing 'fair stories' from him for months to come.
~ Autumn

KathyB. said...

I just got home an hour ago. What am I a doing blogging? I get too wired up to sleep, so I am eating good food and writing to......

Kathleen,will you be posting oictures of your blue jean jackets ? I would love to see them !

Daisy, Mr. Hickman was telling me how he did some of the work, and 'labor intensive ' fits the bill, then add in inspiration and loving what he was doing.

Linda Sue, I remember the song and thank-you very much it will be stuck in my head tomorrow. Yes I am having a wonderful and exhausting time !

Jo, if you come for the Puyallup Fair you can stay with us . And yes, our grandson is 9. Such a fun age don't you think ?

And Autumn, love having the privilege of spending time with #1 Grandson ~

Thank-you all so much for your comments, KathyB.